HELP!!! Blood in poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cat Water, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    There is blood in one of my chick's poop! They are on medicated feed, so I don't think it can be Cocci. I'm not sure which one it is yet, so I can't give you details. What could be wrong? Please hurry.

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Never mind. I don't think it is in the poop, but on the poop. There is blood all over the ground and I found one chick with blood and flesh on their beak. What shoul I do with this one and the little Polish chick that got pecked? She is bleeding from her shoulder and her crest. Please please please help me.

Edit: actually, it is a Buff Orpington chick that is bleeding around her tail feathers. She has far more significant wounds than Louise.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I would seperate her if you can. I have the fortunate of having a large rabbit hutch that is divided in the middle. I keep broodies and injured birds in there. They are protected from the pecks of others but still close to the flock so they don't stress out. Works for me. Do you have a small wire cage or cat carrier? Do seperate the chick or it will get worse. When she is healed then turn her back to the flock and keep an eye on her. Good luck

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The injured one needs to be removed from the others right away. Clean up the meanie and make sure he isn't injured and put him back in .

As to the injured one, you need to take a look and find out the extent of the injuries.

If it's minor, a squirt of blue kote will often do the trick. If it's more, you need to clean it and separate the chick for recovery.

**as a side note, in regard to your original post, medicated feed does not necessarily prevent cocci. in fact, it very often fails to prevent cocci, so if that comes up again, don't discount that possibility.**

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Separate her and lather the wound in Neosporin. I would also keep the chick indoor, away from flies while she heals. Just give her a nice, warm place to rest, eat, and drink, and I bet she'll be fine! Neosporin always does the trick for wounds! Good luck! [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    [email protected]@2four :

Separate her and lather the wound in Neosporin. I would also keep the chick indoor, away from flies while she heals. Just give her a nice, warm place to rest, eat, and drink, and I bet she'll be fine! Neosporin always does the trick for wounds! Good luck! [​IMG]

neosporin should be the kind withOUT pain killers​

7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Now that I have examined her more closely, I now see that the injury is much more minor than I thought. It is just a little red bump. The reason there was so much blood on the ground is because she laid in the warmth of the sunlamp while she bled. Poor baby [​IMG] . By the way, what is blue kote? Thank you guys for the help.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yay! That's good news!

Blue kote - and several other very similar products - are applied with a spray can or a dobber. They coat the wound with a blue/purple dye that is also an antiseptic. It helps keep the wound clean and camouflages it from the other chicks, so they don't keep pecking at it.

9. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Now all of my silkies are pooping blood! I saw it this time. One of them is pooping just blood and it is all over his feathers. Do you guys think it is Cocci? I really need help now. Even my favorite, Alf, is doing it and I love him to death. Please help!

10. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:How old are they? How long have they been exposed to the soil?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by