Help! Blood on her face and now white, watery diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stllaura73, Apr 14, 2011.

1. stllaura73

stllaura73 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Group,

I posted last night that my littlest chick (5 1/2 weeks) had some dried blood on her face and I wasn't sure what had happened. I assumed the other girls (who are more aggressive) were just picking on her because she is a sweet and docile Wyandotte. I took your advice and went out to clean her up and isolate her this morning. While I was cleaning her up, she pooped on me. It is all white and runny.

I had noticed some white in her poop two days ago, but it was still mixed in with regular looking poop. I had googled it and it seemed this was just normal urea (I even checked out pictures to make sure). Now between the face issue and the poop I am worried. I hate to say it, but she is my favorite and I am pretty attached.

Do I just keep her isolated for today and keep watching her? Do I need to try and get her into a vet? Any advice???

Thank you!

Laura

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I wouldn't worry too much about her, yet. Chicks have a wide range of what is considered "normal" poops. If she continues to have watery diarrhea then I would start to look at her more closely, but at this point I don't think you have anything to fear. Keep her fed and hydrated. Perhaps you could add more feeding and watering stations to their space? If she was getting picked on, she may not have been allowed access to food thus the reason for the lack of food particulate in her poop. I would hesitate to keep her separated from the rest of her flock because then you are in essence making her the low man on the pecking order. Is she much smaller than the other birds? Sometimes small birds are targeted for harassment by their larger peers. If she is much smaller than the rest of the flock, I might reconsider isolating her until she grows out a bit more.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by