HELP - Bloody Chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wsdareme, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    We just watched a chick push its way out of the egg, and there is noticeable blood on the floor of the incubator. It seems to be struggling to get up, but might be a little more exhausted than the others were when they were born. Is some blood normal? None of the other chicks had anything like that. I'm sure there is nothing I can do, but if it happens frequently and is normal, I'll feel a lot better!!

2. S.STARNES

S.STARNES New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    Cleveland,Tn.
    i just had a chick hatch out,and a little bloody also 10min. old [​IMG]

3. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    It has made it to its feet and seems to be okay -- maybe just some remnants from the navel?

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    The blood is actually probably from the shell. Before they hatch, they are actually a bit attached to the shell, and typically go round and press at the membranes of the shell, which gradually stop the vessels in the membranes from working, and prevents bleeding when they hatch. If they weren't very good at it (or if someone helped them hatch too soon or too quickly) then sometimes you'll see some blood. It SHOULD be ok, unless you are still seeing fresh blood produced now.

5. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Thanks -- this was very helpful. The chick seems to be doing okay this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by