Help - Bloody Chicken

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I have 26 New Hampshire Reds, they'll be 4 weeks old on Monday. They've all been good, healthy, happy chicks, but tonight when I was putting feed and fresh water into their cage (they're in a big dog cage), I saw one of my girls had a bloody back end. It appears she is missing tail feathers, and that's where all the blood is. After about 20 minutes, I was able to catch her, I put her in a separate cage but now they're all pecking another one. I understand they peck, at what point do I need to be worried that they've gone too far?

The one I split out, I do not have a heat lamp for, but it was 91 here today, she's in a cat cage, inside a big dog cage, inside my garage, do you think she'll be warm enough? They're pretty well feathered out, and I think it'll be in the 70s outside tonight, so maybe 5 degrees warmer in my garage.

I appreciate any feedback. I've been very lucky with my chicks and am not prepared to lose one now!
sad.png

Thanks.

No, I thought I had some wound dressing but I do not. Hopefully she'll be okay until the morning, my neighbor is coming to look at a wound one of my alpacas has, we'll just bring the spray up here to spray my chickie too. She seems okay, she's laying quietly by herself, hasn't moved around much since I put her in her own cage, but maybe she's just relaxing after being pecked at.

HI there, your chics may be getting too hot or need more space.
Another thing you may can try is wetting some cat food & give it to them. They might need more protein?? I don't know, I'm no expert.
idunno.gif

Miriam

I actually have a red that will pick her own feathers on her "lower" back, right by her tail feathers. I just make sure when she is bleeding to keep her separate so the others dont get going at her.

I agree with bayouchica, they may be too hot and crowded. Man, I get grouchy when I'm hot and don't get in my bubble!
Try to shade your area they are in, set up a fan for a breeze.
How big is your dog run they are in?
Good luck!

Its not a huge area, we're working on their coop but its not done yet. Its a dog cage, its like 4ft by 2.5 ft. I turned off their lamp since its so hot and humid, they seem to just be napping. I also closed the garage door to help the humidity a bit.

My injured chickie seems happy, I sprayed her with blu-kote a bit ago, I didn't know it'd turn her bum blue. LOL. I tried to keep it away from the vent, hope I didn't use too much.

The one I took out, she's not bleeding anymore... so maybe later I'll put a few more chicks in with her, to expand everyone's room.

If I had to, I could turn them into a horse stall down in my barn, my main concern with that is we have racoons. My husband has killed a few (that were breaking into our feed) [I wish he hadn't done it but he says its for our animals own good], but if there are more they could climb over the stalls. Maybe we could put wire over the top of the stall.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

OHChick, horse stall sounds like a great idea. Glad to hear the hurt chic is doing good.
If yall have some wood to secure the wire that would keep them coons outta there. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
smile.png

Miriam

Back
Top Bottom