help! Bloody crack on fertile egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Freya, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    One of my chickens eggs fell from the nesting box (didn't have ledge high enough, but I fixed that now). It is cracked but the crack is red (blood) with a small section that looks like blood seaped out and smeared on the egg. I just candled the egg and the chick is still moving around. Do I bother trying to seal it shut or is it pretty much a goner with the blood seapage?

Thanks! Poor lil thing!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why not give it a try? The worst that could happen is that the chick will die, and that will most likely happen anyway if you don't try.

3. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    If bacteria builds up in there is could be a stinky mess and spoil other eggs. That's a tough call!

4. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    Yeah, thank you. I just sealed it with Elmers glue. Waiting for it to dry completely before I put it back out with momma hen, so no bacteria sticks to it. I'll keep checking on it to see how it's doing. I was mostly concerned because of the blood on the crack.

5. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    I'll check on it often, if it starts stinking bad, I'll remove it.

6. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    So far the lil one in the egg is still moving around in there :) Keeping my fingers crossed.

7. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    If he hatches call him like little red or mary (bloody mary like the drink!)

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I've dropped an egg while candling at day 14 before and had a bit of blood seepage. I covered the crack with a small piece of electrical tape and the silly bugger hatched as if nothing had ever happened.

9. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    Awesome news! I'm hoping everything will be ok, and yes, I will have to give it a good name if it hatches lol!

10. Freya

Freya Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Granville
    I actually also have one brown egg that's been out there the longest. It cracked a bit, so I was gonna throw it out. I didn't see anything when I candled it, but it's brown, so hard to see. I left it on the table on the porch while I was in the middle of something and forgot it was there overnight in the cold. So the next day I decided, what the hell, I'll put it back in the coop see if my hen will lay on it to get her broody. She layed on it, and started laying on my other hens eggs with it. One day I found it kicked out of the nest box and pretty cold. I put it back lol! I don't know why I kept putting a dud egg back with my hen and her stolen eggs but I did. This morning, I decided hey, I'll candle it again just for fun. You know what I saw!? Movement inside that egg!!! And whoever is in there is decent size!! This one if it makes it is definitely gonna have a special name lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by