1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help...bloody poo...coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PtldChick, Jun 19, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I believe one or two of my young chicks~ 4 weeks old BCM and campine- have coccidiosis from what I've read here on BYC. I noticed bloody spots in the BCM brooder this morning before I headed out for an event, checked the four chicks in there and no bloody vents or other signs. When I got home this evening, I checked again and one of the chicks is not as active, doesn't run as fast to get away from me picking her up, so I believe it's her. The BCMs came from an individual who hatches/raises them so perhaps got it from outside. It's been a very wet spring here in OR.

I put two and two together on the puffed up, not as active symptoms of the campine, which I had assumed was just a little cold. She is in a different brooder in the same room. I haven't seen blood in that crate but I'll double check.

Here's what I'm going to do and I'd like advice:

Move both of the suspected infected chicks into separate containers in a different room from the others.
    Clean out both brooder pens, discard shavings, disinfect with bleach cleaner including feeder and waterer - new feed and water.
    Keep an eye on the healthy chicks for any signs.
    Get Sulmet at a feed store tomorrow morning and begin dosing all the chicks in their water - should I dose the healthy appearing ones less as it's so tough on their systems?
    Give the infected (or all?) chicks some plain yogurt and ACV tonight as I don't have access to meds until tomorrow.

What dilution of ACV in the water? Or give it undiluted?

Also, since I have discarded other shavings in the yard (not where my other chickens are, TG), is there something I should spray that area with to kill the oocysts?

What else do you recommend?

BTW, I have been feeding medicated chick feed, so if I catch this early, should the others be OK?
    If some were vaccinated for Mareks and I move them away from the others, should they be OK?

I'm heading to the local store for yogurt and ACV now.

Thanks,

Leanne

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I had an issue with cocci, last spring, and it was horrible, I treated with corid V it worked fast! but I still lost 13 birds, it was horrible. Alls I can say is it spreads very fast and kills very fast too!! Treat all the babies cause 10 to 1 if 1 has it they will all get it and it can kill within 24 hrs, What happened to me is I went out to the coop to feed and water and saw blood in the pooh, my run was continually wet ( we had a terribly wet rainy warm spring) I started losing birds that day and it contunued for about 7 their pooh looked normal after about 5 days (no blood) All of the chickens were acting and poohing normally the day prior to the bloody stools and I had no clue as to what was going on with them . The first sign was the bloody stools, next was the lethergy, and 3rdly came the death. I was told by other BYCers to start with the corid v and finish up with the sulmet for some reason the sulmet it hard on the chickens, you can look up the post on Cocci, and see what you can find too there is alot of very good information on here on this subject. Good luck to ya! and speed at getting them on the medication, which ever you choose is of the utmost importance!

I'm sure much more knowlegdable people will come in with more techical advice soon, but I can not emphasize more the importance of getting them on the med. Again good luck to you and your babies !

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks,

Sounds like your situation was tough. Sorry to hear that.

I have the two birds quarantined in another room with yogurt and water with some Bragg's ACV in it, but I noticed that the 3 LavOrps that were in with the Campine are starting to show the puffed up body and cold feet symptoms, so I'm moving them to their own crate in the new 'hospital room'.

The campine has shown the symptoms for several days, as I thought she was just a little cold, and is still active and no bloody poo, so I'm hoping she has a 'milder' strain and is fighting it. If she has a milder strain, hopefully the LOs do, too, and they just started the symptoms today so I'm catching them sooner.

The BCM has the bloody poo but is not lethargic, just not as active as usual. I'm not sure what I will wake up to tomorrow. [​IMG] Her (former) brooder mates seem fine right now and I'll start them on the meds with everyone else.

I will be calling my local feed stores in the morning to see who has the corid and/or sulmet in a decent-priced size. I am fortunate that there are so many chicken-related stores in my area, I know at least one will have what I need.

I just gave two of my older chicks to a friend today, so had to leave her a message to quarantine them from her other birds to see if they develop any symptoms...they're a bit older and hopefully will not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by