HELP! bloody stool/yellow diarrhea/12 week old hens

Hark

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I've been trying to comb through the search results on the symptoms, but I'm getting really confused by all the information.

I have 6 12-week old chickens, and I've seen at least two of them have yellow-tan diarrhea. I've also seen one with blood clots in her poo, and we found at least three other piles in our yard after we let them out today that were either partially bloody or all bloody. We watched them for a long time to see if we could figure out which ones were sick, but they all seemed normal, except one kept lying down for a while, but then she stopped.

They're all eating and drinking, and their tail feathers are up. We cleaned out the coop, and my husband is out buying pine shavings, duramycin, and diatomaceaous earth as I type this. The coop floor is kind of wet, and we're trying to figure out how to keep it dry. There are a lot of flies in the coop, as well. I'm just afraid to treat all the birds if I don't need to, but I can't figure out which ones are sick.

Anyway, I think it's coccidiosis, but I'm not sure (I didn't get pictures of the poo). I'm a new chicken owner; could you guys provide some guidance?!

Sounds like cocci to me, too. Get some Sulmet or Corid at the feed store and skip the Duramycin. Use some vanilla car/air fresheners to drive out the flies. The DE should help to dry out the water situation, but I have found Stall-Dry to be more effective- it is pelletized DE. Works well for wet situations and smells quite nice.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom