Help! Bloody Wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kendra1178, Feb 10, 2011.

1. kendra1178

kendra1178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I noticed today that one of my hens has blood on her wings. I'm looking for advice on what I should do to help her. Should I isolate her from the others for a few days so they won't be tempted to peck at her? Should I put triple antibiotic on her? This is a new issue for me so I don't know what to do. Thanks for any advice!

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Hi - You've got the right idea. Just as with any superficial owie, clean first (I use a dilute betadine solution - mix betadine with water to make a light amber color soln.) and then apply a thin layer of Neosporin, Silvadine, or Animax. This should be done twice/day. Bringing her inside never hurts. When you reintroduce her back into the flock, it's a good idea to put her in the coop in the late evening as it's getting dark. That way, in the morning, she's there when everyone wakes up, and they seem to have forgotten anyone was ever missing. Good luck - oh, and nice pics! She doesn't look too bad at all (compared to some of the stuff I've dealt with [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by