HELP !!bobcat got at my ducks night!!

xosnowhiteox

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
New river, Arizona
I live in the north foothills of phoenix, Arizona. Last night I heard a scream-like noise, and the followed by the ducks yelling, I flew out of bed, grabbed a flashlight and ran outside. The pen was ripped open and ducks running every direction. After looking them all over I found only two are hurt, one got bit in the neck and is holding her head in a strange way, and one has no visible wounds, but is limping and has a wing hanging down... the one bitten I have put into a Rubbermaid container after peroxide treatments where I saw wounds. I have her inside and slowly shed drinking water. Neither will eat and seem to need assistance drinking... what should I do... i am about an hour from any stores ... and won't have a way to get anywhere till tomorrow when hubby gets home... any advice would help greatly... thank you

I live in the north foothills of phoenix, Arizona. Last night I heard a scream-like noise, and the followed by the ducks yelling, I flew out of bed, grabbed a flashlight and ran outside. The pen was ripped open and ducks running every direction. After looking them all over I found only two are hurt, one got bit in the neck and is holding her head in a strange way, and one has no visible wounds, but is limping and has a wing hanging down... the one bitten I have put into a Rubbermaid container after peroxide treatments where I saw wounds. I have her inside and slowly shed drinking water. Neither will eat and seem to need assistance drinking... what should I do... i am about an hour from any stores ... and won't have a way to get anywhere till tomorrow when hubby gets home... any advice would help greatly... thank you
Only use peroxide once to clean bacteria out of wounds it can hurt newly healing skin. Watered down iodine or betadine looking like weak tea can be used to clean wounds too. And nothing with pain relief in it, but neomycin or tripe antibiotic can be used or Veterycin spray for wounds and infection. Blue Kote, How deep is the wounds especially the one on your ducks neck? she may have had her neck sprained and in all the terror your one with wing hanging could have run into something You neecd to clip any feather away from deep wounds though so when healing begins feathers don't get caught in the skin. and it's easier to treat too. I imagine they are in shock so keep them warm and offering water don't worry to much about eating yet hopefully as they feel better and safe they will want to eat. do you have any electrolytes you can mix into the water to help with hydration? even some gator aid will work in a pinch. mixed with water. Please know that the cat will be back so if your pen isn't secure I hope you'll move your ducks where they will be safe till your dh can reinforce where damage has been done.

I went through something similar 2 years ago when stay dogs attacked my flock. You've got the right idea, keep them warm, safe, & confined in a sanitary place. It is normal for them to not eat or drink in the first 24 to 48 hours. Then, they should start to drink water but may not eat for several days. Topical antibiotic can help prevent infection. You can buy some poultry antibiotics at the feed store if you think they need it.
You can order injectable antibiotics from twin cities poultry supply: https://twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/

One of my ducks was very badly wounded. She couldn't walk, one wing hanging down. She made a full recovery and is one tough bird now! Mine just got topical antibiotics, water dissolvable antibiotics from the feed store and special care until the wounds were healed. I might have put them down, if it weren't so important to the kids to save them.

My Peking, sadly passed a few days ago.. vet said it was amazing she survived as long as she did, she had punctures in her throat and several broken bones, my mallard though the one without blood or bite marks, has made great progress, she is eating and drinking without help, or special "cups" my hubby made to make it easier for her to drink and keep everything hydrated... she swims on her own, and is even quacking again.
We went out and got a bargain on some chain link and more chicken wire. New outdoor lights, and a night camera thing my husband bought at cabellas for deer watching... bobcat has NOT returned, but we're not taking any chances...

THANK EVERYONE for their help, glad to have this site for advice...

My Peking, sadly passed a few days ago.. vet said it was amazing she survived as long as she did, she had punctures in her throat and several broken bones, my mallard though the one without blood or bite marks, has made great progress, she is eating and drinking without help, or special "cups" my hubby made to make it easier for her to drink and keep everything hydrated... she swims on her own, and is even quacking again.
We went out and got a bargain on some chain link and more chicken wire. New outdoor lights, and a night camera thing my husband bought at cabellas for deer watching... bobcat has NOT returned, but we're not taking any chances...

THANK EVERYONE for their help, glad to have this site for advice...

I'm glad to hear your Mallard is recovering! I am sorry to hear about your Pekin. :(

Back
Top Bottom