HELP-bobcat SoCal Update-Donald is HAPPY

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by neverbdone, Dec 31, 2009.

1. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Well, we had the dogs tree what I thought was a squirrel this morning. They the ravens started surrounding the tree. DH says OK Ellie May (not my name)-go check out the tree. As I went past the duck run I noticed my only black Muscovy girl Daisy was missing. Sure enough I get to the tree and its a FAT bobcat.

Needless to say we are putting hardware wire around the runs TODAY and I will be ordering an electric fence.

The Bobcats been "taken care of"[​IMG], but poor Donald is now all by himself [​IMG] and when I went to the coup, he was morning over the remains of Daisy.[​IMG] They were a pure black pair and I can't get any more where I originally got them from. His only other friends are the chickens next door.[​IMG] Can anyone help? I can pay for birds and shipping, but I don't have a incubator and Muskys don't hatch well from a bator anyway. Poor Donald really needs a friend. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Today

DH remembered a person at the farmers market that had Muscovys, so look who I picked up for Donald today. THe carrier wasn't even cold when he draked her. Donalds in LOVE with Gracie. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Poor Daisy! I noticed in your siggy that you have/had 3 Scovy. Is there a reason your other Scovy can't be Donalds friend? You can check Craigslist in your area or Muscovy Duck Centrals Breeders map.

http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/breedersmap.html

Are you still looking for a solid black hen? Most Scovies do develop a white patch on their wings & are still considered black so I don't know if this is something thats really important for you at this time or that you just get Donald a girl. Shipping distance may need to be a consideration also.

3. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I was supposed to get a trio, butt ended up with two drakes. They were fighting, so I sold one last week. They couldn't be in the same pen together. I'm looking around to see if there is someone who can ship to me since I'm up here in the mountains apparently far far away from anyone else with chickens let alone ducks.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

There's a guy near me (hes in Puyallup, WA) that has Black & Whites for sale & might have some solid blacks.

I have no idea if he would ship but its worth a try, right?

I PM'd you the info i got from the ad.

5. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Keeper: I didn't answer your other question regarding "pure" black. Yes, the three white feathers on each wing I believe are a standard feature of pure black. Of course that is acceptable. I am thinking of putting Donald back in with the chickens until I can find him a girlfriend. Poor guy seems really sad and traumatized.

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking of putting Donald back in with the chickens until I can find him a girlfriend. Poor guy seems really sad and traumatized.

That's probably a good idea. Poor boy. I do hope you can find him some Scovy companionship soon.
    I do happen to have a black 4mo old Scovie girl who is quite a character [​IMG] BUT, I have noticed a few white spots close to her eyes sooooo am thinking she's carrying the whitehead gene. Time will tell.​

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    if he is in the breeding mode he can kill your chickens by over mating them.

8. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    BYC ROCKS !. Thank you, so far my 1yr boy is very passive to the chickies.
    still in his own pen, but now I have surrounded the pen with hardwire material. I have a link to a washington girl tks to BYC, but nothing confirmed so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for dear Donald to get his mate.

9. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Oops, sorry about the double posting. I guess I did it wrong. But, life is good.

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

grats for Donald!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by