help bobwhites keep dying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pheasantfreak, Jun 13, 2011.

1. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    I bought 16 bobwhite chicks saturday and since then i have lost seven and an eighth is almost dead. They are fine and then they tip over and are dead within minutes we have beening giving them medicated water with no success they were in a brooder with pheasants and chuckars i bought from the same breeder and the pheasants are starting to die but not the chuckars. I have seen like some lice on one that died and dont know if thats what killed them any advice would be useful willing to try anything just please help dont want to lose any more

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    well, i've heard alot of bad things about keeping different birds together, they can pass alot of disease, what i would do is separate them all out, if you see one of they quail getting sick, separate him from the rest of the quail, you might be able to save the rest, but i would get them away from the other birds

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If They Have Mites They Need To Be Treated... Dust Them Down With "sevin" Dust (available At Most Lawn And Garden Stores... Its An Insecticide Available In A Fine Powder Or Liquid- Get The Powder)

Mites Can Be Commonly Seen Under Wings And In The Bird's "armpit" Area As Well As Around The Vent.... They're Tiny Lil Vampire Bugs That Feed Off The Birds Blood Making Them Anemic. In The Case Of Severe Infestations Or Very Young Birds It Can Cause Death.

They Do Not Exhibit Any Other Signs Of Illness In Anyway?

4. pheasantfreak

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    no their fine one minute the next minute their dead

5. Quial that are "fine" usually don't die. Something is getting to them. They need to be seperated from the other gamebirds. Probably a good idea to dust them just in case. Keep them separate. Consider change in recent enviroment, heat, illness in other birds on your property and the property where they came from. Water, feed, shelter ect.

6. pheasantfreak

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    every thing is seperated out but i will give them a dust bath and see if that helps plus every thing was hatched together so i dont think that would be an issue

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It could be anything. You say "Chicks"...how old? You may not be brooding them properly. What are you feeding them?

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    what else has hatched in the brooder in the past?

9. pheasantfreak

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    they are about a week old i am feeding them game bird starter and this is a brand new incubator i bought just for the quail

10. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    What has been in the brooder before them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by