Help bone showing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken cooper, Sep 7, 2010.

1. chicken cooper

chicken cooper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2009
    My black Austrolop has a round spot on her hip on top that is to bone and not red or anything but the bone(I think) is uncovered. What is it?

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Could anything have bitten her? Like a dog, Cat, Hawk ect. ?

3. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    NO she is really secure like fort knox. I thought it was a scab but when I touched I discovered it was hard and looks like the top of the hip. no feathers I only found it when I was petting her

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's ok, it's an oil gland...perfectly normal.

5. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    how could this be an oil gland?It is large,hard and all feathers arownd r gone

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's at the base of her tail feathers,forward a little bit on the rump, it's an oil gland. Can you post a picture, that would help? Thanks.

7. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    The oil gland is not bony. It is more like a rubbery pimple at the base of a swelling. Bear with the pic, but it serves to show where the oil gland is if you don't realise. The small swelling is just above the tail or parson's nose (labelled oiler here) and the pimple part where the oil exudes is actually below that on the parson's nose. It's not feathered but there are feathers so close all around it that you dodn't normally even see it.
    [​IMG]

What you're describing on the hip sounds more like a lesion of some kind - maybe a tumour. Post a picture.

8. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    HELP i just looked and she has opened the area and it is bloody.What do I put on open sore to keep her from picking it?I took a bad picture but not sure how to get it from uploded place to web

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you sure she opened it and not other chickens picking at her? If she is with other birds, she will need to be isolated. Do you have a way to do this? Also, keep in mind you will want to keep her away from flies until treatment can begin.

to post a pic, look at the blue bar at the top of the forum. There is a button called "uploads". You can upload pics from your computer to there and then get the link and post it here.

10. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by