HELP.....Booder Question...alll opinions welcome.

Layin Eggs

Songster
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
South Eastern, MA
My husband is building a brooder out of wood because our rubbermaids are quickly getting to small for our chicks. Hubby was planning on painting the wood sections so that they would be easier to clean. I am concerned that the paint may cause respiratory problems.

Has anyone ever painted the insides of their brooder? Do you think this would be a problem? Any other suggestions for easy cleaning?

Thanks, Lisa

I ain't sure but it should just be as easy to wipe it off painted or non painted. I whould think painting it whould kind of be like treated wood if they ate it.

All my coops and grow pens are painted wood. As long as they get all dried up and air out a bit, they should be fine. I've used latex paints and oil stains with no problem.

Edit: Haven't ever had a problem of eating the wood or the paint either though.. have a few hens with red spots because they just had to lean against the freshly painted mini coop. Same hens that did it last year so now they get to wear red dots for a whole nother year... Painting the wood would be best for longevity of the brooder. Treated wood run off may contain high levels of copper, but I don't see why there would be treated wood water mix run off in the brooder the birds will be habitually drinking from so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Like Silkiechickens said....just let them air out well, should be fine. Maybe you can get a scrap of lenolium for the floor? Just dont put them on it without shaveings.....too slippery.

I keep my brooder on a cement floor in our extra garage with a thick layer of shavings. The bottomless-ness allows for easy cleaning and it is very light to pick up and move. I have pics if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom