Help! Bowel on outside??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by City Chicken, Mar 17, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    [​IMG]What is this? A blood clot or bowel? I just helped this chicks hatch, it was fully zipped by dried out, trying it couldn't. I intervened after 24 hours. I've done it before,nut what is that!? And there was a bit of unabsorbed yolk too... Should I expect this one not to make it??

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Can you post a pic? It could be the "after birth" or unabsorbed yolk... or an abnormality. Pics will help figure it out. I hope he turns out all right!

3. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    Is the pic not showing up? It's very lively.... Should I try to feed it the remaining yolk sac that was in the egg?

4. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    I just read on an old thread that its a rough navel... That it will dry and fall off? I had better keep this one isolated or the others will peck it off! I want the to be hope for this chick..... This hasn't been a great hatch rate.....

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Strange--the pic shows up now. I don't know why I couldn't see it originally.

I haven't ever had that, so I can't offer much help. I do know they tend to be pretty tough all in all. There's definitely hope, especially if he's a lively one. :)

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If you help, I usually just do a tiny pip hole in the air cell area and then wait 12-24 hrs. they need to get used to our air. and in doing so it starts to shut down the whole vein system. then I go slow and stop if there is blood. If the cords are still connected I will leave the connected stuff to the chick, it needs to absorb. you can put the chick in a sock so other birds won't peck. ONCE THE CHICK IS OUT OF THE SHELL.. it needs to be DRY and warm. Warmer than just the brooder. it needs a heating pad. heated bean bag or hand warmer packets are great for newborns I always keep those around.

7. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    So, I'm pretty sure it was the yolk sac, but it was a bloody blob... it was dragging it all over the bator. So I took some antibiotic ointment and wrapped from the neck down loosely in Saran Wrap and placed it in a small container. I hoped this will mimic the egg and allow it to finish drawing it in. Also keep that little thing still!!
    Electrolytes are next!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you will be better off with a sock it has to DRY and plastic will keep it wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by