sunflowerfancies

Hatching
Sep 25, 2018
Hello there,

So I'm new to chicken raising, and I majorly screwed up. In my mixed flock of 11, I have two Brahmas..a rooster and a hen. Both of them have scaly leg. All the other chickens are fine. It's my fault, I neglected to clean the roost as often as I should have. Here's what's going on. I will post pictures tomorrow once it's daylight.

WHEN--

I noticed the problem on Saturday, the 22nd. I've kicked myself every day since for not catching it sooner.

ROOSTER, Little Brown--

-Severely raised scales on legs
-Bright red and swollen skin on legs...like gross swollen...super bumpy and nothing like his legs used to look like.
-Bright red skin under tail and on belly, sensitive to touch
-Broken and bleeding feather shafts on feet
-Two dark blotches on underside of his toes on one foot. NOT in center of foot like typical bumblefoot.

Other than what I have listed, he is completely normal. No change in behavior at all, no signs of distress except when I have been examining/handling said areas. He is just over a year old.

HEN, Ashley--

-Slightly raised scales on feet
-A few red patches of skin here and there under tail, belly, tiny bit here and there on thighs.
-Broken and bleeding feather shafts on feet

No other changes at all.

ENVIRONMENT--
COOP--

I did not keep it as clean as I should have, and the Rooster especially has had a dirty area. He likes to sit on the flat surface above the nesting boxes, with a few of the younger hens snuggling with him... which ends up deep in poop. He just won't go to the roosts, never has...that has ALWAYS been his spot....I didn't keep it scraped...so he sits in grossness all night. My fault. MY STUPID FAULT.

RUN--

It's dirt, and they dig holes in it to have their dust baths. I periodically put fresh dirt in there when it gets too compacted so they have plenty. In wet seasons I put straw down so they aren't always standing in mud.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR--

Chickens--

Believing it to originally be scaly leg, I bathed both birds legs with slightly soapy water (all natural stuff, shouldn't have left any film), lightly scrubbed with a tooth brush. Then I dried them, coated them in Vaseline. I tried to get under the scales some but Little Brown would react painfully..so I just put as thick a layer over the whole leg as I could. Ashley didn't care and loved the bath. I have continued to slather their legs with vaseline every day.

Coop--

We have cleaned the whole place out with just sweeping and vacuuming, put down fresh straw, and sprinkled it heavily in lavender and mint oil (my mother in law uses it to deter mites, said it would help).

PROGRESS--

ROOSTER--
No improvement at all, acting even more upset when we touch the skin on his belly/under tail.

HEN--
One foot looks almost normal. The other is the same as Saturday, but no worse.

Again, I will post photos tomorrow... but for starters, do y'all have any idea what is going on with Little Brown?? Ashley has text book scaly leg from all I can tell, and is responding well...but Little Brown... he's just a mess. I hugely look forward to any and all advice y'all can give me... thanks.

-Catherine

Sorry for low quality of photos...very hard for me to hold onto the rooster and take pics at the same time. In these I hope you can see the state of his scales, the red swollen flesh on his feet, the two black spots on his toes, and the red skin of his belly. He was DONE being handled by the time I got there so I only have the one photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_101501921.jpg
    IMG_20180925_101501921.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20180925_101506394.jpg
    IMG_20180925_101506394.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180925_101653861.jpg
    IMG_20180925_101653861.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180925_101637472.jpg
    IMG_20180925_101637472.jpg