Help- Breed Advice - what kind to buy?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JessicaAndE, Mar 3, 2017.

1. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Okay - we are new to this and will be soon buying two to three chicks. I'm having the hardest time knowing what breed/breeds to buy! I have a 5 year old and I want the birds to be gentle and sweet, hopefully at least one decent layer and fairly quiet. We are in a neighborhood Colorado. I've narrowed it down to either barred rocks, buff orphingtons, salmon favorelles and my daughter is set on silkies since she saw them on YouTube. I just heard that I'd need two silkies as they don't do well alone with other birds. If you were me, what mix of two to three birds might you get and why? Thank you!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    With a kiddo in the mix I would suggest an Easter Egger in the mix - nothing like blue or green egg to make a child light up (or the child within, lol). Beyond that, the Buff Orp would get my vote for sure -- every BO I have ever had has been super friendly and eager for attention.

3. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you! I'll consider the Easter Eggers too!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    How do you plan to keep the chickens? Penned or free range in your yard?
    Silkies, polish - birds with bunches of feathers on their head hinder how well they see and are easy prey. Not the best option for free range in my opinion.

I'd go with a buff orpington as they are friendly and good layers. Look into Cochins as well - your daughter may be thrilled with them too and they are also usually very friendly.

5. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017
    They will be in a coop that's fairly small (it's says it fits 5 chickens but that seems like lot for the size) with a large run. I will let them (2-3 hens) free range a couple of days a week. I was wondering about the chickens with all the feathers and their ability to protect themselves. Cochins sure are cute! I might have to add those to the list. And it seems many like the buff orphingtons. Thank you!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Good eye, gneral rule is cut the "will fit" number at least in half on those coops

7. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the San De Cristo mountains in southern Colorado (west slope). I chose Barred Rocks because they're cold hardy, friendly, decent at protecting themselves (although won't be free ranged, too many predators) & look neat. Whatever you choose, best of luck! [​IMG]

8. JessicaAndE

JessicaAndE Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2017

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that Barred Rocks were your choice in CO. I'm in Colorado Springs, but on the edge of town backed to open space. I'm now definitely planning one Barred rock. [​IMG]

9. DourS

DourS Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    I have a young daughter who wants to be part of the process so I have chosen the buff orpingtons. There are a lot of videos on you tube about the BO.
    I'm expecting a very docile friendly bird. We will see.

1 person likes this.
  10. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    Being that you don't have much space in your coop+ you will be able to let them free range 2/ week+ you want good, docile layers, I would suggest Buff Orpington and Australorps. They don't mind being confined, are friendly and are very good layers of big brown eggs.
    Now I can see your daughter also wants a pet chicken, so I would definitely reccomend Cochins. But don't expect Cochins to be good layers of big eggs. Despite their size, the eggs are medium size and they tend to go broody more often than the orpingtons. Silkies are great pets as well, but also go broody often. Best of luck w whatever combination of breeds you decide on and let us know what you've picked.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by