Help Breed and Comment on my D'uccle Chicks! :) I'm new

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saraiquimby1, Jul 26, 2014.

1. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    These are my chicks. Supposed to be about 7 days old. These are my first chickens ever. The Mamma looked like a porcelain d'uccle and that's what I'm hoping these will be. And I need females [​IMG] so fingers crossed that they are all pullets (is that the right word?). [​IMG]
    Here are my babies. Thoughts? Color? The other two look similar. This one is just my favorite [​IMG]

And just by first glance tell me if you feel like its a female. I want her to be so bad because I don't want to get rid of her. Or any of them for that matter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd say pullet, but it's nearly impossible at that age. If you post a pic of her at 3-5 weeks then we should be able to tell better.

3. hetherfeather

hetherfeather Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Hi, your chicks look just adorable! I think theyre a bit too young to sex from a picture, but i have some tips for you.
    1 flip the chick over, and examine their vent. if it has a small dot on it, its a rooster. keep in mind that plenty of hens have the dot, so just because one of them has one, dosen't mean its a rooster.
    2 watch the behavior of the chicks, the ones that stand tall, peep the loudest, and squirm when held, are probebly the roosters, roosters also like to stand on the waterers, and insist on being the first to eat.

2 of my 5 chickens turned out to be roosters, and we only found that out a month in, you don't want to sell away your rooster, and later find out that "he" was a great layer. good luck!

4. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I will definitely be posting another picture when they are older. Another question. I have the three of them in a rubbermate tote. And I'm wondering if it's normal that they absolutely soak the bottom. I have to change the bedding like almost daily because it's soaked with water. I don't know if they play in it or just kick the shavings around everywhere but my goodness. I am wondering if that is normal. I have a chicken waterer. And I just use pine shavings. Normal? Or is there something I can do that will save me some money and not make me change bedding every day lol

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My chicks didn't do that at all. But that's because I put a peice of plywood in there to put their food and water dishes on so they wouldn't get all full of wood shavings. Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also put marbles in their waterer so they wouldn't drown in their waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by