Help!! Breed And Gender???? Photos!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityChick15, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    HELP!!
    I am unsure of the BREED and GENDER of my small flock!
    I can not have a rooster in my neighborhood and I don't want to get even more attached to a bird I might have to return [​IMG]

HELP PLEASE!
    See photos below.

[​IMG]
    I was told by the breeder that this was a giant white cochin, but don't cochins have feathers on their legs? Male or Female?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The breeder told me this big bird is a cochin, not sure the specifics. Male or Female?

[​IMG]
    Partridge cochin? Male or Female?

[​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure this is a silkie, is it too small to tell if Male or Female?

[​IMG]
    We are pretty sure this little beauty is a Buff cochin. Again Male or Female? I have no idea!

[​IMG]
    This little guy might be an Americana? Gender unknown...

[​IMG]
    The most rag tag of the bunch, bald spots everywhere, even where down should be, nothing... kinda sad looking actually.
    Gender?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It's really hard to judge whether they're male or female at such an early age.....I do think the chick you feel is an Ameraucana is actually a crested breed.......

The first chick doesn't look white, is it a pale grey? Lavender?

Sorry, I realize I'm no help at all! I loved the pics though! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    1. Blue something, not a cochin.
    2. Black Cochin
    3. Partridge Cochin.
    4. Looks like a silke.
    5. Buff cochin
    6. is a White crested black or blue Polish
    7. a black cochin

I can't tell with the gender yet because I can't see their combs and wattles.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    #1 lavender orp. [​IMG]
    #2 ROOSTER black cochin
    #3Partridge cochin
    #4 White silkie
    #5 Buff cochin pullet
    #6 polish not sure what color
    #7 black cochin

5. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    THANKS! You guys are GREAT! Could the big white bird be a Blue COCHIN? I purchased these with a neighbor and its possible our girls got mixed up! OH WELL! I LOVE THEM ALL...EVEN THE FORBIDDEN ROOSTER! [​IMG]

AT what age do combs and wattles begin to appear and what do I look for in determining gender???

6. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    MY BABIES OUTSIDE ENJOYING A LOVELY SPRING DAY!!!

[​IMG]

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:I don't know how old your chicks are (maybe a month?) but roosters in general will develop larger and redder combs earlier and grow wattles earlier. It can depend on the breed. If you got better pictures of the combs of your birds and a side picture of their heads it might make it easier to help sex them. From what I have heard silkies can be very hard to sex until they crow or lay an egg, but I don't know from experience.
    ETA - I agree with Happy Hens, the first black cochin you posted pics of looks like a rooster.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. FlowerFarmer

FlowerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Great pics! They all look female to me. I heard between 4 and 6 weeks their combs will get red. The pink you see is okay, but you'll beable to tell more in the next few weeks. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I like your duck too. [​IMG]

10. CityChick15

Mar 30, 2011
    THANKS! Gender is unknown on the DUCK as well! I know its an INDIAN RUNNER Duck...I'm hoping for a girl (I love duck egg omelets). I'm considering getting another Indian runner so she can have a friend other than the chickens (who seem to use her as a snuggle toy and pillow at night). She doesn't mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by