HELP BREED IDENTIFICATION!!

Ok was just a guess
I only know its not Salmon Faverolle because they have beards. I was gonna guess maybe the blacks and blues were possible Marans(only because I have chicks that look similar). But im a chicken newbie and Im not very good with breed identification lol

Last edited:
She's an Ex-bat and you are in SA, right? Then she's very likely a Lohmann Silver. I had some battery hens (POL pullets) that looked like she does and they were Lohmann Silver. The other popular battery hen breed by you is Amberlink, but I'm not 100% sure what they look like.

Considering the breeds you have available there by you I"m guessing BO, Australorp and RIR. I had a roo that looked just like yours and he was about 75% RIR. The Black ones looks like Australorps, but I'm not 100% sure. Also had an Australorp X that looked a bit like yours. I know BO's is now readily available in SA, a friend of mine bought a whole lot of them, day old, at a reasonable price. Think he paid R8/chick + shipping. Am not sure about the blue/grey ones. May be blue orps? Or Bluebells? What I'm thinking is you may have X's, like I did. I've found some dishonest breeders down there sadly advertise RIR etc and sell X breeds that looks a lot like they should, but when you breed with them you end up with liquorice chickens. Allsorts
lol.png

Try reposting in the What Breed/Gender is This section and see what the experts say. I'm still learning myself LOL Must say it is nice to have so many breeds available here.

That's terrible
hugs.gif
Mongoose are a pain. We lost so many chicks to them we ended up trapping and killing them. Hawks weren't a problem until just before we moved when I lost one chick to one. Luckily my roosters were very alert and warned everyone in time after that incident.
My Lohman X's were great and the girls laid better than their moms! I also had no problem selling the roosters as everyone knew the Lohmans were layers and wanted to breed of them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom