HELP! Breed?? [[pics]]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jun 21, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I am talking to a guy about a couple of Bantam chicks he is selling, he doesnt know what breed they are.
    These are the pictures he sent me (sorry for the bad picture quality) Can you please help me with the breed?
    Im thinking maybe something Cochin.. probably Barred but I just wanted to make sure before I told him okay! I dont want cross breeds seeings as I am looking for new show birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Just something to consider....If you really want to keep your lines of chickens pure, as it would appear you do. I probably wouldn't risk purchasing from someone that "can't tell you what breed they are." Just my unsolicited two cents. [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:x2 I can't think of a better way to push yourself to pulling out your hair until you are bald.

I would say by the way they are holding their tails, and the straight combs, that they are some sort of Old English Game. It's hard to say without seeing their feet, I am guessing based on the assumption that they are clean legged.

Hope that helps a bit!

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:x2 I can't think of a better way to push yourself to pulling out your hair until you are bald.

I would say by the way they are holding their tails, and the straight combs, that they are some sort of Old English Game. It's hard to say without seeing their feet, I am guessing based on the assumption that they are clean legged.

Hope that helps a bit!

In the first picture it looks a little bit like there is some feathering on its legs but not the feet. And he said that he got them from his uncle who got them at an auction which what you guys were saying about him not knowing their breeds, that was a total turn off! If he would have said he atleast got them from a breeder or a hatchery that would have been a tad bit different cause there would have possibly been a link to where they came from but now theres not!
    Oh well - Back to the drawing board for new chicken breeds xD

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Silkiemomma, there are many reputable breeders and or hatcheries out there. You will be able to find just the right "true" breed with a little searching. Good luck!

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thank you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by