Help! Bright green pasty poop!

8wishbonechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Our rooster overnight has not been feeling well. He lags behind the hens yesterday and he stayed inside the coop today. We have noticed bright green pasty poop on his butt feathers which we washed off. His vent is open. My husband cut the feathers off around his vent. The only thing I can think of is we gave our chickens the baby dry cereal mixed with water, which my toddler doesn't eat it anymore. They love it and its full of vitamins, iron and calcium. Could this be the culprit and they can't digest it well? I noticed my 2 year old hen has the bright green pasty poop on her butt feathers too but my 6 month old wyandottes are not affected. I stopped giving it to them and quarantined my sick rooster. He doesn't try to get away when we pick him up and his breathing is heavy. He stopped crowing which I first noticed something wasn't right. He still tries to eat.

Last edited:

8wishbonechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thank you for the link about the normal and not normal poop. Unfortunately our rooster died that same night. My husband found him in the coop in the morning. It is bizarre how quickly this happened. Our other hens and a BR roo are just fine. Maybe something he ate or a virus. I'm going to do more research. Hopefully I'll find something.

chookchick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Olympia WA
I'm so sorry about your rooster! Hopefully it is not something like fowl cholera. I would clean everything really well, make sure the run has is fairly clean and dry. Any possibility they could have gotten into something bad to eat, or bad (moldy) food?

Top Bottom