Help!! Broken chicken beak!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chalidobrenz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. chalidobrenz

chalidobrenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    My chicken got her beak caught in a feeder and broke it clear off to the soft, under part of her beak. She's not eating, but it has stopped bleeding. What do I do?? I offered scrambled eggs and yogurt, but that seems to hurt her to eat. Will that soft part harden like a fingernail would??

2. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Your chicken broke off the fingernail-like tip of her beak. It will regrow. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html Here is an article with everything you wanna know about beaks and what to do if they break. :)

In the meantime, separate her from the flock in a dog crate in the garage. I would put some antibiotic cream on it and leave her someplace warm and dark. Place a heating lamp near her if she seems cold. Put a little food and water in with her with a way to see if she's able to eat or drink.

If she is NOT eating or drinking, you will have to tube feed/water her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding There is everything you could want to know about that!

She will be okay with a little TLC. <3 Sorry about her beak!

MrsB

5. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    Thanks.. She's separated in the garage now. She's interested in eating and drinking, but she acts like it's painful and then gives up. :( Will that soft part harden anytime soon, kind of like a fingernail would?

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'll do you one better... it will regrow. :)

Until then, keep it clean and enjoy the use of antibiotic oint (***without painkiller***) and watch as she heals herself.

Sounds like you'll have to tube feed her for a week or so until her beak heals and regrows enough for her to eat on her own. :)

See the link in my previous response on how to tube feed. ♡

MrsB

7. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    Thank you! :) She's been eating oatmeal and soft food today. I've been giving her some Metacam that I had left from a previous chicken injury, so I think that's at least taken the edge off the pain! It's always something with chickens!!

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Good, good, good. <3 Sounds like you're doing a great job!

And she is still drinking water?

MrsB

9. chalidobrenz

Apr 6, 2014
    Seems as if so! :)

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sounds like you did all the right things. Great job! :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by