help! broken eggs from post office

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, May 15, 2009.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

received 14 goose eggs in the mail today. several of them were broken in transit. the broken eggs leaked all over the unbroken eggs and were damp when taken out of the box. do i need to do anything to the eggs that got egg matter on them or should i leave them alone? the package was insured. how do i submit a claim?

thanks,
    monty

2. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    From what i remember, take pictures first. Then take the box to the PO, as they will want to check the packing. They will tell you to contact the sender, they are the ones to initiate the claim.

I bet they will want to check before they start to smell, lol. The quicker they check, the faster you can clean the others and get them in the bator.

Cheri

3. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    I am not sure but I believe the insurance only covers lost packages, not broken eggs. Let us know how that turns out.

Jim

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    It covers breakage of fragile items. But good luck trying to collect, everyone I have ever tried, or my friends tried, they blamed on bad packing. No matter what. Very hard to collect, BUT, best of luck to you!

Cheri

5. monster1

if they blame it on bad packing then i am going to go up in the person that sent me the eggs. i wasn't impressed with her packaging. she didn't use bubble wrap, only wrapped each egg up in one sheet of newspaper, didn't pad the box. the eggs that were broken were the ones on the side of the box. i paid for 18 eggs and she only sent 14. she told me she was going to only send 14 and i asked her if she would partial credit me back on paypal. she said she would. i haven't seen anything credited back to me and haven't heard back from her though ebay's pm since i pm'ed her about the broken eggs since yesterday. i would like to express how i feel about her method of packing, but don't want to make her mad. is there any other way that this should be getting handled? you guys have gone through this before. also, the eggs that weren't broken were put in the bator last night. i feel like my efforts are futile because if some eggs got broken, how shaken up/impacted were the ones that didn't get broken? please help me. i have been in a rotten mood over this since yesterday and am at the point where i feel like breaking stuff.[​IMG]

thanks,
    monty

6. monster1

anyone?

7. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Send her a message saying that she did a terrible job of packaging and that you are going to leave bad feedback if she doesn't make it right . You paid for 18 eggs and you should have gotten 18 eggs. The experiences I have with shipped eggs are that the shipper/breeder usually sends extras and if this person didn't use bubble wrap they probably are inexperienced in shipping eggs, or just don't care. Maybe bad feedback on Ebay won't get you satisfaction but it might make another customer think twice about buying from your seller.

8. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    HUm, I would have to agree. If you contact your seller, and it is not corrected in a timely manner, the negative feedback will make the seller think next time.[​IMG]
    The as for the claim, Best of luck, [​IMG] I have had the worse time trying to collect on a claim.........
    I am so sorry this has ruined your day! I understand![​IMG]

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I paid for eggs and when they got here they were scrambled !
    YUCK ! I contacted the seller and she ignored me. I had taken pics of the packaging (very little ) and so sent a request to pay pal for a refund.

The seller got really angry and told me to never order from her again ! lol [​IMG] Like I ever would ! She said that she would start sending her eggs in bubble wrap as soon as she gets a job and can afford it !

I did get a refund through pay pal. I did leave negitive feedback on the feedback section here on BYC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  10. monster1

Quote:she pm'd me on ebay that she filled out the forms and that she would email me the forms for me to fill out. that was this morning and i still haven't received that email. i think i am getting the run around from her. i think i need to file a claim with paypal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by