HELP - Brooder Question???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sdhawk, Aug 22, 2010.

1. sdhawk

sdhawk Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    I have a dilemma. Of the Chukar eggs I incubated, only one hatched. I also had a batch of chicken eggs I incubated, with the same results, only one hatched. The question is this:

Can I house both of these chicks in the same brooder?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I truly do not know. I am hoping by posting a reply you will be popped to the top of the list and someone who knows will answer your question. This being said I was curious so I went looking on the web to see if there is any info about chukars & chickens in a flock together. I came across this research paper. The part that stood out to me was in the RESULT AND DISCUSSION section. It mentions both chickens and turkeys w/ chukar.

http://thejaps.org.pk/docs/16_1-2_2006/Lateef-et-al-PaperII.pdf

Again, I have no experience on this subject so I hope someone will jump in here!

3. sdhawk

sdhawk Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    Well, here it goes... I'm going to give it a shot. I understand the issues with chickens being carriers to deadly diseases; but since they were both hatched from healthy flocks, I'm willing to take the gamble. The Chukar is 3 days older that the Welsummer. In a few days after they get acquainted, I'll post some pics...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by