HELP! brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by squeak1387, May 19, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    So I just placed my second order for 25 chicks, had a great experience from mcmurrary hatchery so I stuck with them. They are due here on june 13 (my hubbys birthday, he got the first 25 for valentines day) but I am so hatching my own eggs here at home. My next batch will be due that day as well. So to make a long story short, I need some help finding a cheap brooder for 45 chicks. Let me know how u made yours cheaply or some cheap places to check out for a good deal.

2. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Ok a 250 watt ultra violet red light will provide heat for 100 chicks....I would look at the feed store for a horse trough, or a kiddy swiming pool will work until they start to jump....then might have to improve on the kiddy pool and figure out how to raise the walls. your gonna need a couple of waters and couple of feeders placed around the pool or whatever you use. Good luck

3. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    I already have the heat lamp from my smaller brooder, and 2 feeders and 2 water. Plan on getting 2 more of each. Really need ideas on objects big enought for them all that won't break me lol

4. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    kiddy pools the ceap plastic ones, or gardening trim that goes around plants or trees and comes in rolls of 25 ft. I used a giant rubbermaid because of the height they could not jump out but you would have to have several of those to hold that many chicks. Of course the more chicks in the brooder the more easy it will be to keep them warm. It just has to be draft proof. so you could build a plywood box out of a couple sheets of plywood that would work. Depends on how creative you get I guess......Best of luck

5. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
  6. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    .I actually got really lucky today at my local TSC and they had a 5 ft brooder, 3 lb feeder and gallon waterer for 14.99 so I bought it stat. Pretty good deal I thought. Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by