help brooding mandarins

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
Any one have expierience brooding mandarins?
Should i brood them like a domestic duck or should i do somthing different
Any advice would be great . they are 2 days old

Can we see them?
big_smile.png

I have wood ducks and I had a homemade brooder from a kiddie swimming pool, (hard plastic), put shavings down and a layer of burlap over that so it was easier to clean. I would just roll up the used burlap and replace the shavings that were wet. I had a heat lamp over part of it. They were as happy as can be. I did put cardboard around it so they couldn't get out. I had 7 of them in there and there was plenty of room for them all.
8647_p1030306.jpg

8647_p1030330.jpg

sad.png
Sorry to hear you lost your young ones. I tried for months to find Mandarin ducklings last year, I gave up and then we found 3 Rouen ducklings.
12535_pict0047.jpg

June 2007 Peanut, Butter & Cracker

12535_pict0200.jpg

August 2007 just a week before a coon got poor Cracker

12535_p1010426.jpg

Peanut & Butter Dec 2007 fun in the snow

Unforunetly we lost Butter 23 days ago but are awaiting the hatching of the eggs she left us.

I hope you get another chance to raise Mandarins Sure would like to know where to find a pair for our flock. Best of luck for the next time.

FYI in the future if you do need to brood them don’t move them around much for their first week in my experience if you pick them up a lot or move them they have a high tendency to die. With mine we put a heat lamp in a plastic container then took a towel and made a mound with a little nest space on top, they hate being in the large containers and prefer to be crammed into small spaces (like the hollow of a tree). The mound allows them to climb up and down so they can get closer or farther away from the heat, but mine usually sat directly under the lamp.

They seem to die very easily from stress. Besides that not much you can do. I am sorry you lost them that’s hard when they are your only ones.

Good luck with the birds next year, make sure to share pictures when they hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom