Help! Broody abandoned ducklings - now what??

dingodyna

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
I had a broody Pekin that successfully hatched out ducklings. Recently she became disinterested in them and they were abandoned after 8 days with her. I brought them inside into our brooder. It's only been a few hours but they don't seem interested in eating. Is this something the mother duck helps them with? Do I need to help them eat or will they figure it out?

PXL_20210711_022044227.jpg

Quatie

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2020
Northern California
Gently dip their beaks in the food and as well as the water. This is also a big transition for them and likely a bit scary. It may take them a little time to start eating. If you don't notice anything in a few hours, I would start to worry more. But right now, I think it is mostly shock.

@Miss Lydia may have some other ideas on how to get them to start eating.

sweaterthebroodyrooster

Don’t take the little things for granted
Premium Feather Member
May 28, 2021
Southern Virginia
I had a broody Pekin that successfully hatched out ducklings. Recently she became disinterested in them and they were abandoned after 8 days with her. I brought them inside into our brooder. It's only been a few hours but they don't seem interested in eating. Is this something the mother duck helps them with? Do I need to help them eat or will they figure it out?

View attachment 2755156
Okay, I will give it some time! They seem to understand the waterer but they just seem totally indifferent to the food. I'll give it a few more hours before I really start to panic :fl
Praying all goes well!

Top Bottom