Help! Broody Abandoned nest for over 24 hours

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmerTan, Mar 30, 2017.

1. FarmerTan

FarmerTan Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Black Creek, BC
    Hi, I'm not sure what to do as I do not have an incubator on hand. I noticed mama hen was off her eggs yesterday, but I could not find her anywehere, they were very cold to the touch. When I went back out this AM, she was out with the chickens in the yard.
    I saw a cracked egg and inside, a little baby that was so close to hatching, but it was dead. Are all the others dead now? It's been getting fairly cold at night here. Do I try to put her back on? She has zero interest right now by the looks of it.
    Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I personally wouldn't hold my breath for any to hatch now, it's a real shame since they were so close...

That is why it's always a good idea to put a broody hen in a separate enclosed space so she doesn't even get tempted to get off the eggs. And if she does, you can always try to put a basket on her like my great-grandmother used to with those hens who had half a mind to quit, and she did it with great succes.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't have hatching experience so will defer to those that do. Sorry about your wayward girl.

Best wishes and thanks for joining us!

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You can put the eggs under a heat lamp. Get the temp around 99.5. Even putting them on a heating pad will keep them going short term while you figure it out. Check CL for incubators or hatchers.

6. FarmerTan

FarmerTan Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Black Creek, BC
    Thank you! I have a heat lamp! I'll put them in a basket with some straw and put the heat lamp on. It's a heavy duty one, I have it set at 480W, my other option is 800W but I feel like that will get too hot? How far away do I put the lamp, and do I rotate the eggs? Thank you!!

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You'll want a thermometer. Basically it will be the same distance as you would set it for day old chicks. Are you within 2-3 days of scheduled hatch? I would warm them up then candle looking for movement and life. Using straw under a heat lamp is a little scary.

8. FarmerTan

FarmerTan Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Black Creek, BC
    Oh my, I was not thinking about the straw and heat lamp thing! I've transferred them into a little heating blanket in a basket. I think that is a better option than a super unsafe heat lamp in my house. I'm kind of clutching at straws anyways in terms of being able to keep them alive...but I'll still do my best. I will research candeling as I'm not sure how to do that.
    Thanks so much for your replies!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sending good hatching vibes your way[​IMG] - where there is life, there is hope [​IMG]

10. FarmerTan

FarmerTan Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Black Creek, BC
    I candled the eggs, I found 2 that were nearly all black, assuming fully developed and ready to hatch, one of which I noticed some big red veins inside, could that mean there is a chance?! There were another few but I assume they are much too young to have survived, however, I wil still try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by