1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Broody abandoning eggs during hatch. UPDATE!!_ NEED MORE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Jun 18, 2011.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Does the hen normally sit on the eggs for the entire hatching time?

We have duck eggs under our hens. The eggs have external pips. And THREE times today the hens have gotten off the nest. [​IMG]

Once for a snack I was giving the pullets outside of the coop.
    Once she was sitting out side the nest looking in at the eggs but not on them.
    And now I have no idea why this other one left the nest.

They have all been broody for a month or longer. . They are in a separate pen from the rest of the flock with their nest boxes. One managed to completely escape the pen (it's inside so it's OK) but the eggs were getting cool when I just checked on them.

The ducklings are still moving in the shells and have full external pips so they must be getting ready to zip now.

What should I do?

BTW, no incubator option just a heat lamp. Would that be better than mama getting off the nest and cooling the eggs during the hatch?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    It is normal for some to just give up and TREATS [​IMG]...can you blame her ?

You need to take over the care of the eggs if you want to have a chance for them to finish in my eyes...cause most likely she is not going to want to raise them now either:(
    With no bator it makes things a bit hard!
    However anything is better than her not sitting on them at all....have you tried another broody hen??

If all else fails you can get a styrofoam box or a big rubermaid tote and cut part of the lip out....place the heat lamp in there and cover the hole (window you made) with plastic of some sort. Then place a Wet sponge in there for moisture and a themometer to watch the temp.....since they are about to zip no need to turn.

Best wishes, and keep me posted,
    Laura

3. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll continue to watch this thread. We have moved another broody into the pen. All of her eggs died this week before the hatch (she was a terrible broody - she broke eggs and I think the others got contaminated). She is sitting on the eggs and was actually trying to get back into the pen when the other one left.

We are also setting up a rubbermaid box with a heat lamp and sponges to build up humidity. I'm giving this one a few hours and will check on her constantly. If she even thinks about moving we will take the eggs inside.

We do have a bator on order but ordered it when we could afford it - which wasn't in time for this group of eggs.[​IMG]

4. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Just keep a close eye on her that she does not start picking on the ones that are zipping !

Best Wishes,
    Laura [​IMG]

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    OK, need some more help.

The eggs pipped this morning at 8 or 9am. We haven't seen much progress. A few hours ago the ducklings were still breathing but I don't see the shell breaking open.

Is it time to help?

Someone here had a tread on how to help with the hatch. Can someone point me to that thread? I can't find it with the SEARCH feature.

6. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would not help yet....There can be 24 hours between pip and the zipping.....and one BYCer had one go 36 hours...Just watch for sound and or movement...they may be sleeping.....

7. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks! Nervous first time hatcher here!!!

I've read everything I can find on hatching but now that it's actually happening I'm having a mini-meltdown.

I will leave them alone until tomorrow at noon then start to worry again. [​IMG]

8. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Post PICS...I LOVE PICS !!!!!!!

I am not the best person for information, but I will help where I can [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by