Help Broody attacked hatching chick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by columbiacritter, May 30, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Ok now I KNOW which broody has been chilling chicks. I saved this one, at least I hope I did. I watched her whack a hole right where it had pipped and was going in for another hard hit when I put my hand in between them. Ow! She would have killed it for sure. Now I have a chick still in the egg, alive, and peeping, no incubator and no other broodies I trust to give it to. I put it under a heat lamp covered with a damp papertowel. What else can I do?

Should I pull all the remaining eggs, there are 18!

What am I going to do with one lonely tiny bantam chick? These are Japanese.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Think you'd get more informed replies if you post a similar question over on the Incubating/Hatching Chicks room - unless a moderator chooses to move this post for you.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I posted there to. Not much help offered yet. We took the eggs away form her and put a semi broody hen with them in the brooder. Hopefully her instincts will be a little better so she'll settle onteh nest we made up and she won't kill the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by