1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Broody bantam.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ollie44buckbuck, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Ollie44buckbuck

Ollie44buckbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Next week I'm going on Holiday for 7 days, and so I'm getting someone to look after the chickens etc. (feed and give them drinking water mainly) but if I have a broody bantam then she will have to be segregated from the others as she is very protective despite the fact she isn't sat on any eggs. And really segregating her would mean a lot more hassle for my neighbour helping us.
    So my question is, is there any way to prevent her from being broody by next Tuesday?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I do not know of any way to prevent a hen from going broody. If she isn't broody now there, is there a reason to think she will be? If she isn't broody now I would just leave her with the flock, as there is no exact time table they go broody on. If she is broody, she won't eat much while you are gone. Just have enough food in with her for a week and have the neighbor check on the water.

3. Ollie44buckbuck

Ollie44buckbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Thanks for the advice, the bantam is broody and so I will give her sufficient food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by