Help! Broody chicken's box 3' off floor.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Di, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Di

Di New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    My nesting boxes are 3' off the floor. Won't the chicks want food and water when they hatch? Should I watch for them to start hatching and then move the chicken, hatched chicks, and remaining eggs into a box or cage on the floor? Have others built their nesting boxes off the ground so the crumble can be hung underneath? All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Margot

Margot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Paw Paw, MI
    I had the same issue. In fact when I when I went in one day the a baby was in the middle of the floor...all alone...chirping away. I picked itup and looked around as 5 hens sitting on nests looked at me. He must have jumped or was pushed out. I went enie-meenee minee mooo. That hen accepted the baby...so I moved her, the baby and the eggs into a dog crate. That way they are able to get a good solid start. When they are older I am going to get them all back together again.

3. Di

Di New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    Thank you so much, Margot! I feel so much better. As soon as one hatches, I'll move mother and the rest of the eggs into a cage. Did you occasionally let the hen out of the dog crate or did you keep her with the chicks until all of them hatched?

Because of coyotes, I keep my hens in their coop/run. I let them run free for about an hour before bedtime. During this time, I've been taking the broody hen off her eggs. She'll take a dirt bath, eat and drink, then go back to the nesting box when the others come in. I live in So. CA, and it's quite warm here, but I'm wondering if I really should be doing that. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all ideas and suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by