1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Broody disaster :'(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazycluck86, Mar 8, 2013.

1. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Hi there, im new to chicken keeping (almost 12 months) and I have a brahma hen, dottie, that has gone broody. I bought 6 fertile eggs yeadterday and put them under her. She has bern brilliant only leaving the nest to eat/drink/poo once a day. However, I was advised not to move her from the rest of the flock and my other orpingon hen has layed an egg this morning knocking all hut two of the eggs out of the nest. I have no idea how long they were there for, and one of the eggs was dented/cracked but the membrane still intact. I have since seperated her and she is sitting happily back on the eggs but wil they be ok? Im so worried....please help! Any advice much appreciated. X

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    The dented egg might be eatten if you leave it. I have had dented ones before hoping the hen would not notice but they usually do and eat it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    While growing up, we always removed the broody from the rest of the flock while she was setting. Mostly to keep her protected from aggression from other hens and to protect the eggs.

As for the dented/cracked egg. If you can get fingernail polish, or liquid bandage on it, it should do just fine. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's not being pecked at. And, if at all possible, I - personally - would move the broody to her own enclosure. Others may disagree, and I bow to their superior knowledge [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    She is now seperated from the flock and much happier. I should have gone with my gut and seperated in the first place, the cracked egg however is no more. She didnt eat it but trod on it and it leaked, so I gave her a clean fresh nest while she pottered about for 10 minutes-and I must say....she was very reluctant and wanted to get back on that nest! I really hope they will do fine now, as they may have been out of the nest for maybe 2 hours when the other hens kicked them out! Thank you for your advice SO much appreciated :)

5. Kilsharion

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if it were only a couple of hours. Eggs are a lot more resilient than we believe. And, their retain they heat pretty well, taking a while to drop their internal temperatures. You should be warm enough right now that they'll be fine. [​IMG] ((And, yes, I was speaking of warm enough in the UK...down here, we're more than warm enough [​IMG]))

edited because I cannot spell **sighs**

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If she hasn't been sitting on them long they should be ok. The last time I incubated my power went out for 8 hours on day 5 and it got pretty cold in the house (and in the bator). They hatched a little late but they were fine. If it will give you peace of mind, candle them on day 7 or 8. Shine a bright flashlight into the fat end and you should see some veining (and sometimes a little heartbeat if your flashlight is bright enough!). Good luck :)
    Nikki

1 person likes this.
  7. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Oh *phhhheeeewwww* thank goodness....they are like my babies!!! She is trying so hard bless her, I really should have seperated her but I was told it would be more trouble to re introduce her and the chicks. Ok I will try and candle them...fingers and toes crossed! She is so determined im havibg trouble getting her to eat! Thank you sll again :)

8. Kilsharion

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    You wouldn't have wanted your new born chicks in with the main flock, anyway. That way leads to disaster [​IMG] It's a good idea to let your chicks get up to a pretty decent size before you integrate them into the flock. There are some great posts on the site for integrating chicks into an established flock.

9. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    I had read they can be pretty cruel, but the breeder I got the eggs from assured me 'you should never move a broody hen'. Next time I will no better! I just have everything crossed that the eggs will be viable....my three year old daughter is so excited, especially as the chicks are sultans! Should I give dottie (the hen) a special diet or will layers pellets be ok?

10. Kilsharion

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    She should be fine on her regular feed. No need to change it. Some take broodies off of layer feed since they aren't laying eggs; but, I don't think it's necessary.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by