1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Broody giving up at hatch, two pipped and more internal pips!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I'm in a MESS! I have 3 broody...

First hen, my "reliable" momma hatched out 6 and 7th is trying to hatch...

Then, my 2nd mom whos brooded before too and is usually good, just STOPPED sitting tonight!! TWO pips and more internal ones I saw and I have zero clue what to do with all of them bc she had like 7-8 under her and I couldn't possibly have my one mom keep sitting on those to hatch too bc she needs to take care of the ones she has now...

Well, to make matters worse, I bought 6 bantams tonight to try and put with my reliable mom bc she has accepted them before well and NOW, this mess. I would have never gotten them and overloaded her if I would have known my other mom just plain quit during hatch (my boys had baseball and I checked before I left and she was fine on them but she was up with everyone else tonight sleeping in the coop-could NOT believe it) She also ate one too...lovely. The eggs she left were gross but I managed to wipe most clean.

I don't even know what to do at this point. She has 3 eggs unhatched but trying under her and a good bit of chicks now (like 12-6 standard and 6 bantam-shes a standard). I put the rest of the other eggs internally pipped under a mom whos sitting in the box next to her BUT shes only been sitting maybe a little over a week so IDK if she will kill these if they try and hatch under her?? I'm not even thinking about the week old eggs shes sitting on.

I have the incubator warming but it hasn't been on and I hate hatching myself, especially after all this mess and what the eggs have been through already...any advice?? PLEASE???

2. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Nothing...

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, I'm sorry nobody has been around to help you. I have no experience of this, so i cannot offer any help. Maybe if you search in the Learning Centre there may be something? Or try posting on threads discussing using broody hens?

All the best
    CT

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks so much...my nerves got the best of me last night but I woke up early and went out and the situation is sort of more stable now...I still am SUPER nervous with the eggs hatching under my one mom who's only sat a little over a week now...that's my biggest question. Put them in the bator (it's now set and ready but I hate hatching from them and would rather under a momma) or leave them be under her and pray she thinks they magically had a faster incubation period!

I did search the post quickly and couldn't find anything that I saw with a late broody quitter but I will search some more later after the human kids are all taken care of :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Mamma hens don't know how long it takes to hatch eggs, or they don't care. My broody sat on eggs for three months until her chicks hatched. (I waited to give her eggs) it doesn't matter if they've been sitting five days or 6 months. I'm sure your 'week old' broody will take care of them fine.

7. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    She got up for a break and left them at the same time I went out to check on them...she left them and one chick was just hatched and a few other trying so I just took them and have them in a brooder and the rest of the eggs in the incubator. I would rather her hatch them out but I saw a beak mark on the back of the "just hatched" babies back so I didnt want to risk it.

8. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.

My other mom has never abandoned hatching eggs either so I'm leary on trusting them I guess now...good news is two more hatched out ok and are getting stronger and one still pipped and trying so we will see...only 3 eggs not hatching isn't too terrible given the situation. Poor things would have done just fine had the original mom not jumped ship though...

9. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
  10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your week old broody will hatch out the other eggs (if the chicks are viable) but no hen can raise the dead from the grave. Remember what was said earlier,
    This means that if or when the week old broody hatches the other hen's eggs in a day or three that broody number two will abandon her nest to squire the first hen's chicks around. Meaning that you have gained nothing and perhaps lost much if the eggs that are being sat on by hen #2 become chilled. This is why I never stagger hatch and also why I will never advise anyone else to start staggered hatching. Staggered hatching is the best way I know of to make a chicken keeper (especially a beginner) to throw up their arms in frustration and walk away from poultry keeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by