HELP ! broody hen broke her eggs husband put chicks with her today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MSH, Jun 4, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so my broody BA broke her eggs somehow and so my sweet husband put our week old chicks out there with her early today while I was visiting my Mom she is pecking at them and I'm just confused I know he was trying to help but I thought he knew to do this at night will she forget by morning and accept them ? should I bring them back in to the brooder and let her work it out on her own please help I would love for her to accept the chicks but I don't want to lose any of them if she doesn't !
    Thanks in advance for any advice

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You should try to do it at night, after she's settled down in the nest for the night; however, be aware that she may not accept chicks at all, especially week old chicks.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Oh I wish I could say this would work......[​IMG]

Take the chicks away and try again tonight........if she has not broken her broodiness. Put them out at just after dusk, so she sits on them the whole night. Be ready first thing in the morning to spend a good part of the day keeping an eye on them......but from a distance if the chicks already think of you as mom.

She broke her eggs........did she leave the nest or is she still setting tight in the box? Is she in the nest with the chicks and pecking at them?

Here is why I think it will not work (I do hope it does work)

Your chicks are a week old, so they are very active and running around.

Most broodies need up to 3 days to "come out of the broody phase" once chicks have hatched. This helps keep mom on the nest so the chicks have time to rest from hatching, get their "land legs" and be ready to move around.

4. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    she got down and was eating and drinking and pecking at them then got back up on her nest I have a couple chicks that hatched today I'll try to sneak in their as sonn as it's good and dark thanks for helping I'll post tomorrow if it works or not tonight ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by