HELP!! Broody hen maybe???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loverOFchickens, Apr 7, 2009.

1. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    OK so I have this buff orphington hen and I was 100% sure that she was broody.
    I was going to move her tonight.
    However today when I was feeding my chickens she got out of the nest and came to eat with the others.[​IMG]
    I had been feeding her a handful every day since I knew she was broody.
    Should I still move her tonight, is she still broody?
    This is her first time and she had only been sitting on the golf balls for 3 days.
    I was planning on incubating 4 aracana eggs under her. Will it be too late to incubate them?
    But most of all is she still broody.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. loverOFchickens

Mar 30, 2009
    I made a cardboard nesting box we will see how it goes.
    Please anyone who knows anything HELP!!!

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I also have a Buff that is sitting on Silky eggs for me right now. My Buffy gets down and eats at dinner time with the other hens and when she is done she goes back to the eggs. ;)Even moms have to eat. Did she go back?

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    She probobly hasn't eaten in a while and got excited when you fed your chickens. I'm sure she'll be back on the nest withing 10-15 minutes.

Put her in the new nest at night and remember to put food and water right out side her Box.

There are instructions here on how to put a broody in her new nest. It's the 7th post.

~Rio

5. loverOFchickens

Mar 30, 2009
    Well I got the eggs today.I will put them under her later.

She moved back to the old nesting box but the other hens are using the new ones so it worked out.
    Thanks for all your help,
    loverOFchicekns

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    If you are interested, you can put more under her then four. I ended up with 18 under my Cochin. I planned to put twelve under her, but the other hens kept laying there. They diddnt all hatch, because some of them were so far behind the others. But of the original twelve, I have seven, and ten were infertile.

I would think you could put ten to twelve under a BO if you wanted too. They are big and fluffy, like a cochin. [​IMG]

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Oh, also, if you dont want trouble, do what the experts say and seperate her from the others! I diddnt, and like I said, they kept laying in her box. You could take the others out, but the biggest problem is, if your broody sees another hen in her box, say when she comes back from her eating break, she may get confused and sit on another nest. Then her eggs will get cold and die. I had to go out everyday and put my broody back in the right box. [​IMG] Not a good deal!

8. loverOFchickens

Mar 30, 2009
    I only have one box will this be a problem then?[​IMG]
    The other chickens can fit in too and they just lay thier eggs beside her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by