1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Broody hen rejected the incubator babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by helenbk1966, May 24, 2016.

1. helenbk1966

helenbk1966 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    My BO went broody for the first time late March, and at 19-20 days we popped 5 chicks from the site under her. She immediately burst into happy mommy songs and was a devoted mommy, even tho we put them in in the middle of the day. (They were pecking the crap out of each other so we had to).

3 1/2 weeks ago our roo keeled over DRT so we popped a dozen eggs off of the BO mad the AMERCAUNA into the bator. And the BO went broody again! I was thrilled because I DO NOT want to raise any more chicks in the house. We JUST got a batch of six that was shipped to us by mistake out the door into a sectioned off coop. I have no way to do outdoor brooding.

When I put 6 in with her today (I know it's daytime- but it was so easy last time....) she kept making irritated growling noises. After 5-8 minutes she was pecking them hard every time their heads popped out from under her or she heard a cheep.

Any chance at all she'll take them if we try again at night? I don't know what to do!

2. helenbk1966

helenbk1966 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    I forgot to say I did remove them. They are in our brooder. In the bathroom I spent an hour scraping chicken crap out of 2 days ago [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by