Help! Broody hen stepped on hatching egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, May 30, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Help! My broody hen, Oreo is sitting on some eggs and she has been doing fine...Except today we lost 2 eggs and possibly a 3rd one because she crushed them. [​IMG] The 3rd one of pipping and she stepped on it a little and now it's bleeding; It's not cracked all the way, but the baby chick seems to be very slow and not very active as it's trying to hatch. I can see its beak moving so it's still alive, but it's bleeding a lot and I don't know what to do! [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't have an incubator at the moment...Normally I would take the hatching egg out, wrap it in a warm moist paper towel, and put it in my incubator.
    Help! Will the chick make it??? [​IMG]

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I think it's time to intervene, [​IMG]. Put the chick into a warm brooder and monitor it carefully.
    [​IMG]

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks, but I don't really have a brooder. [​IMG] And like you probably already know, I don't have my incubator either. [​IMG] Is there a way I can make a quick brooder easily? And I'm scared to intervene because the egg is bleeding and what if the temperature change kills the baby chick??? [​IMG]

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Thanks, but I don't really have a brooder. [​IMG] And like you probably already know, I don't have my incubator either. [​IMG] Is there a way I can make a quick brooder easily? And I'm scared to intervene because the egg is bleeding and what if the temperature change kills the baby chick??? [​IMG]

Do you have a tub or empty fish tank nearby, or something that can handle heat but is large enough?

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine

Do you have a tub or empty fish tank nearby, or something that can handle heat but is large enough?

I think so, yes.

Oh and the baby chick is still barely hanging on...I looked at it closer and it hasn't absorbed all of the yolk. I wrapped it halfway in a damp paper towel because the membrane has turned white where the egg shell has been taken off, and I moved it under a past broody BO hen. She isn't broody now, but she's temporarily sitting in a nest box with a couple other eggs, getting ready to lay her daily egg and so I slipped the poor thing under her for warmth and she willingly took it. The original broody hen already has 4 baby chicks and about a dozen eggs under her already and so I figured it needs more space and warmth, and I know Setherina will take care of it for now like she always does because she's a great setter and mother hen. I'll just leave it under her until I can make a brooder...I just don't think I should intervene right now because all the yolk hasn't been absorbed. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    UPDATE: Well, the baby chick didn't make it. [​IMG] I moved it to a plastic tub with a light over it and put some damp paper towels around it. But it didn't make it. 3 chicks in a row so far that didn't make it. I just hope no more turn out the same way. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for all the help. [​IMG]

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]

9. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    So sad to hear. It always sounds so much easier to let the hens do all the hard work, and then you get a rogue/clumsy/daft hen who makes a right mess of it. A bit like rogue/clumsy/daft hatchers who can't sit on their hands! Hopefully the rest all go your way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by