Help - Broody hurt her chick. Do I give her back to her after she's healed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haunted Chicken, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I think I blew it big time!

I placed two chicks under my broody during the night. She took to being a mama beautifully but unfortunately one died the next day. So I bought the survivor a sister to grow up with. I placed her in with the mama in the middle of the day and she took to it immediately. But the fist chick wouldn't eat or drink and died the next day. So I was back to one chick again. I've never had a chick die before so this is new to me. Not wanting a single chick again I bought 2 more and placed them in with the mom. She took to one but attacked the other one.

So now I have a single chick in the house while the mama is doting on the other two. I feel so bad I keep making things worse. I can't have any more chickens (6 max)

My question is, do I let her face heal up and then keep the babies together and remove the mom? Or try to put her under the mom again? Who knew getting two new chicks could be so stressful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Personally I'd remove the chicks from the hen and raise them myself. Given her record so far, you'll probably lose another with her and have to bring in the other anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by