HELP!! Broody is leaving eggs & killing babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by savannahchickmom, Jun 18, 2011.

1. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    Okay - have 3 Jersey Giants that all decided to go broody, as did 2 silkies & 1 banty cochin. One of the Giants, J.J., has been SO faithful & content. Discovered 21 eggs under her. But, now that 3 have hatched, they have all died. I was afraid it was too hot for them, but I found her pecking the just hatched #3 today. It has since died. She has suddenly abandoned all of the rest of her clutch. I though she would go back to it, but has NO interest. Good broody, bad momma? How do you tell if the others are viable? One of them seems to rock occasionally, but the rest show no movement, but many feel heavy. Is there anyway to tell? What do I do if they are going to (possibly) hatch? I can bring them in & put them in an incubator. She has made it clear she wants nothing to do with the babies. Please help! Read somewhere about setting them in warm water to detect movement, but quite a few BYC'ers vetoed that idea. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance for your advice!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Separate your 2 silkies with the eggs. There's a good chance they'll decide to sit on them. They are the best moms to any chick. JG's I think, have had their motherly qualities bred out of them.

If the silkies sit on them, they will also share them very nicely.

You can rush them to an incubator, and cross your fingers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. savannahchickmom

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    My 2 silkies already are sitting on lots of eggs. They do share & 2 of the cochins share too, but everyone is "full." I will try the incubator, but is there anyway to tell if they are still alive? They should be hatching anytime!! Don't want to keep eggs that are rotten :-(
    Thank you so much!

4. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I am sure alot are still good. Just get them into the incubator ASAP. Keep us updated.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You can candle them

6. savannahchickmom

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    One Is Hatching!!!:d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by