HELP - Broody pooped on eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cheerful, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Cheerful

Cheerful Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    My broody hen pooped on eggs - they are 15 days now. I've looked at some other threads and there seems to be conflicting advice! Clean them with water, or dry cloth? Should I do anything at all?? Will they hatch if I just leave her to it? They aren't covered but some definitely have some large spots of poo on them. I lifted her off to clean the poop out of the nest but I didn't spend a long time examining them.
    If you know, let me know what to do! What is the danger of poop on the eggs, and why would she be doing that? Any advice welcome.
    thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I would try and clean them up with a dry cloth. To stop her messing up the nest again I think remove her from the nest daily until the chicks start hatching and feed her while she's up. Good luck!

3. Cheerful

Jul 5, 2012
    OK, thanks! But I should still have the food available all the time, right? I had been wondering if she had been getting up much since it had been a few days since I actually saw her up. But I will do as you suggest and lift her off and feed her once a day. Thanks.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can leave food for her, but put it where she has to leave the nest to eat. If she eats on the nest she will "go" in the nest.

5. Cheerful

Jul 5, 2012
    Yes, she had to leave the nest to eat. But I'll try lifting her off daily and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by