1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Broody quit with one day left!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sjsunshine, Mar 5, 2014.

1. sjsunshine

sjsunshine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    I've got a barnevelder that has sat on a clutch for 20 days. She's not sitting today, and I don't have an incubator. Is there anything I can do? Try just a heat lamp carefully monitored for temp? Anything?

2. Egg Thief

Egg Thief Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    IF you have a little been bag warm it up and put the eggs on it withe the heat lamp thats all i can suggest

3. Egg Thief

Egg Thief Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Also monitor the hen see if shes just on a bathroom and food break if she doesn't go back to sit in within 40 min id say you might be in trouble

4. sjsunshine

sjsunshine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    Yeah, she usually takes a ten minute break or so but gets right back on, but we've found her on the roost twice now :/ And we have a New Hampshire that hops on the eggs when she gets off, but she's not really broody and won't sit for long. I'm just hoping SOMEHEN sits on them long enough to hatch them for me :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

How did it go? I have a hen that is doing the exact same thing. I have a random hen napping on the nest for now. No incubator. 19-20 days in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by