Help! Broody Silkie just won’t get up to eat or drink.

zhutson789

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
South Carolina
She’s been sitting for 4 days now and she hasn’t touched the food and water sitting conviently 2 feet away from her. We move her about twice and day off the eggs and put her right at the food. She just lays there and doesn’t have a care in the world. She’d sit there beside the food without her eggs forever if she could. What should I do??!

I have one particular silkie that gets determined to sit and she has gone off missing for a week coming back starving...binge eat and go back where she came from. So I would not stress to much if you have foods and water available she will get it when her instincts tell her too. She may get up and eat when no is watching because she does not want you to see the eggs left vulnerable.
Are you letting her hatch out chicks?

My Silkie does this when incubating. When I move her off the nest, she just sits as if still on the eggs. What gets her is when I offer a sunflower seed or meal worm! That's gets her attention, and once she's eaten a few, then she shakes it off the daze and stands up and goes to eat/drink normally. I do this once a day if I'm home. If I'm not available, I'll leave a little dish of chick oatmeal (half water half chick crumble) in the corner of the nestbox, with a mealworm on top to get her attention.

We had a silkie like this. We got her off and outside once a day. She wouldn’t drink or eat crumble, only a little fruit and soaked scratch. She was a terrible broody; lost a lot of weight, and I really worried about dehydration.

I have one particular silkie that gets determined to sit and she has gone off missing for a week coming back starving...binge eat and go back where she came from. So I would not stress to much if you have foods and water available she will get it when her instincts tell her too. She may get up and eat when no is watching because she does not want you to see the eggs left vulnerable.
Are you letting her hatch out chicks?
Yes we’re trying to hatch them out. I don’t think she cares for us to see to eggs bc we’ve picked her up and she doesn’t absolutely nothing. We set her outside the nest by the foodand she didn’t move much not like trying to scramble back.

Back
Top Bottom