Help! broody silkie, won't eat!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbangrooster, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bigbangrooster

bigbangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

My amazingly broody silkie, elvis, is sitting on an egg and won't get off of it even to eat or drink. We take her out every 2-3 hours to get some excersise. She'll drink a little but won't eat and we have to force her to walk. The egg should hatch on the 15th but were not sure she can make it that long. Please help!!! I know silkies are known for there broodieness but this is ridiculous!!!!!

2. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Are you sure she's not getting down to eat, and you're just not noticing? Broodies generally only get off the nest once a day. If you want the egg to hatch, booting her off every couple hours isn't a good thing. If she's losing too much weight, offer food and water on the nest. Somewhere she can reach without getting off the egg. This did the trick with our broody.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. bigbangrooster

yeah shes had alot of weight loss. and her food is already in the nest with her. but when we check her there is almost no differnce from the amount when we filled her feeding container up.

4. Maybe she is just a really stubborn broody, and won't get off to eat till they hatch.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    This may sound harsh but you do need to get her off of the nest at least twice a day - she is likely to be in a trance like state and she could die if she does not get some nutrition,,,,,pick her up and put her outside or somewhere that she does not have immediate access to the eggs... walk her, move her around UNTIL she wakes up and realises that she is hungry.... I do know what Silkies are like - I have had ( and am still having ) problems with obstinate Silkies refusing to leave their nest - all of mine respond to stimulus and you really need to get her moving and eating or you will have no Silkie nor hatchlings.

As the previous poster says - she does not have to be taken off the nest every few hours - twice a day is fine.

PLEASE keep us updated with progress

Good luck!

Suzie

6. bigbangrooster

thanks, were now taking her off the nest thwice a day like you said. and yesterday we candled the egg again while my mom was taking her turn to walk her and the egg is still good, - so far. And your right my mom even said "whats the point in hatching the egg if Elvis doesn't live?" and now shes drinking a little bit more she is easier to make walk but just a little bit. but shes still eating very little.

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You can try to tempt her to eat by giving her some mealworms, scrambled egg or tuna fish - she will start eating but needs your encouragement to help her as you are now doing.... yes, it is hard work but it will all be worth it when Elvis presents you with her baby chick!

Suzie

Keep us informed please on her progress

8. bigbangrooster

we've tried giving her mealworms but shes never liked them because her RIR sisters used to steal them from her.thats why built her her own coop/nersery we will try the scrambeled eggs and tuna idea and i'll tell you the results. this time she was more eager to walk and drink but still won't eat but like i said ill tell you the results of the eggs :p

9. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Great that she is at least moving around and drinking - you are doing great by her - she needs educating and you are helping her in the right direction - PLEASE let me know when she starts eating properly again - I really do care about you and Elvis!

Suzie

10. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Gotta jump in here. Is she pooping a really large poop? If she is then she is eating. Remember, she is a bantam and eats less than LF and since she is not producing eggs or getting much exercise, she does not need to eat much. My broody LF ate less than .5lb of food over her sitting and hatch. Then she ate .2lbs in one day. Unless she is loosing a LOT of weight, she will be fine. You can offer some canned cat food, it is very high in protein. Even in her trance on the nest, my broody would eat a couple of raisins out of my hand when I offered them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by