HELP! Broody Silkie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JaxGrits, Jul 30, 2013.

1. JaxGrits

JaxGrits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    I have a teeny tiny little black silkie who started laying on July 4th. She laid an egg every single day until about July 25rd at which point she started to show signs of going broody. We tried putting a bag of ice in her nesting box but she just sat on the floor of the coop instead. (At first I put her little egg on top of the ice but she rolled it away which was pretty stinkin' adorable.) We are now on the wire bottom cage tactic. She is in a wire dog crate that has a wire bottom about 2" off the ground. It's in a very well lit room. The cage does have a roost but now she seems to be broody ON the roost! She has food and water in the cage and will only eat it if I physically take her off the roost and put her in front of the dish. I've also taken her out of the cage a few times a day and put her outside with the other girls- she runs around the yard, eats grass, poops, drinks water, etc for about 30 minutes and then wants to come back in.

Should I take the roost out? I'm running out of ideas.
  2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    give her a few days in the wire cage...see what happens....I think you can leave the roost in the cage
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long has she been in the wire cage? It often takes 3-5 days to break a broody.
    Since you have a silkie, you'll probably want to read through the multiple threads here about breaking a broody. Unless you want to let her hatch babies (and remember you'll get on average half roosters!), you'll probably be dealing with keeping her from brooding more often than not.
  4. JaxGrits

JaxGrits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    North Florida
    We are going on day 3 of sitting in the wire cage (on the roost) and she's still at it. And of course now my little buff silkie (who has been kept separate from the broody silkie) has been sleeping in her nesting box and has pulled some of her chest feathers out-like she can smell the broodiness! This is so frustrating!
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    And I'd love to have another broody.... Sigh
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would take the roost out. I also would have her crate higher off the ground so you know air is coming up under it. Sometimes a hen has to be in the "broody breaker" cage a few times until she gets the idea. But she will likely decide she is broody again at some future date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by