HELP! Broody with chicks refusing ducklings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cowgirl212, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Cowgirl212

Cowgirl212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    I had a broody hatch out 2 chicks and continued to sit on the other 2 eggs (ducks) I had placed under her. The 1st duckling hatched today ( 1 week later than the chicks) and she will peck at the poor little thing! Eventually she will let it go under her, when I place it there, but I have found the duckling out laying in the cage by itself every time I check on them, so im not sure if she's kicking it out from under her? Help has anyone had this happen? I am wondering if im going to have to take the duckling out.

2. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
  3. LilacHomestead

LilacHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    I had the same problem but in reverse; my silkie broody hatched three ducklings and a week or so later only one chick hatched from my bator :( so I placed it under her wing at night and she seemed to accept him. But the next afternoon the chick was by itself and the ducklings were under the hen. I took the chick away again and placed it back at night but the next morning the chick was gone.

I believe a crow flew down and grabbed it in the early morning.

The trouble with situation was the age difference between the ducklings and chick.

I hope this info helps!

4. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    Thanks everyone!
    I went out first thing this AM and found both ducklings (one newly hatched) laying out by themselves in the middle of the cage. Both have had their heads picked [​IMG] . So I removed them and brought them right inside!! The 1st hatched duckling seems to be ok except for its head, and the newly hatched one isn't doing so well. It just lays there, when I mess with it the duckling will chirp and wiggle around but it cannot hold its head up. I will just wait and see what happens, I'm worried now the one will die and the other might live and will have to be raised by itself. The poor thing is already so lonely, it tries to cuddle up with its not so good sibling. I've never had to raise and chick/duckling by itself I've always had at least a few others. I cleaned the wounds with a little hydrogen peroxide and put some antibiotic ointment on it as well. Another thing is their eyes seems to be a bit "goopy" anyone have any advise on that? Is it an indication of sickness?

[​IMG] Here are both the ducklings

[​IMG] This is the more lively duckling

[​IMG] Again...

[​IMG]The newly hatched duckling that isn't doing so well. I've got it next to a warm water bottle, & covered up.

[​IMG] And "Betsy" with her chicks...she is a black orpington

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In my understanding there's a window of time after the first chick hatches for the hen to identify chicks as hers, usually about 48 hours. Once that time is passed, what has hatched is hers and she's likely to attack other babies.

One of your problems is the different lengths of incubation time. Chicks are 21 days, ducks are 28. If you wanted a broody to hatch both, you'd need to put the duck eggs under her, then a week later add the chicken eggs so they hatch at the same time--for future reference.

Once her clutch hatches, the hen usually leaves the nest, at least for periods of time during the day. This means she wasn't consistently incubating the remaining duck eggs, so that's probably why you have a floppy duckling--it's temp varied a lot for too long a period of time.

6. 2go2scotland

2go2scotland Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I hate to say it, but your one duckling does look rather sick and I don't think the chances are good of it surviving. We had 15 new ducklings in May and only lost one out of all of them--and the one that died--a wee Mallard--looked like yours in the picture. It, in fact, died in my hands. Ours was just a fluke, though--a weak link. I was still so sad, though. I hope you won't keep just one duckling, though, as ducks need a like companion or they are very unhappy.

7. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    I defiantly learned my lesson about putting the duck eggs with the chicken eggs, I didn't realize the duck eggs take longer until about a week after my broody was sitting on them. Interesting thing is the 2nd chick didn't hatch until 3 days later and she had no problem with it, but it was 5 days after that the first duckling hatched and I guess that was too long. This is my first broody experience and I've learned a lot! After the 1st chick hatched I moved them to a separate small kennel with a bucket nest, and she guarded and sat on those eggs the whole time! Even pooping in the nest! I had food and water in front of her, but im sure she got up once a day or so to stretch just like before any hatching. Today is the first time I've seen her up in the cage out of the nest since there are no more eggs now.
    The not so good duckling is still alive so far, but not much has changed. Not so sure how the other is going to have a companion if this one dies. I don't have any other ducklings to put with it, and finding 1 other small duckling is going to be hard to find. I don't want to take the chicks away from the hen and raise them with the duckling. The best place for them is where they are at I believe, so the hen can keep them safe & warm. Even though I have raised ducklings with chicks and never had any problems like some people do.
    Ill just hope for the best and take it day by day! [​IMG]

8. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Aw! I hope the sick one gets better!

9. 2go2scotland

2go2scotland Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Sounds like a good idea! Let us know if the sick one gets better.

10. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    Sadly the one duckling died...but the other one is still alive and well! Its head it healing slowly and its growing fast! It has become one spoiled duckling, since it lives in the house with us right now. I had my mother make a duck diaper for it so I can run around the house and be with us since it gets so lonely by itself. Never thought I would have a duck in the house wearing a diaper!! LOL Once it gets big enough though it will go outside and be with its real duck parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by