HELP!! Bubbles on incubating egg

GemmaKeirl

Hatching
May 24, 2015
I currently have 12 Silkie Chicken eggs in an incubator (day 11) and I noticed one has started to bubble. What should I do? I am worried about it being a bacterial problem which might then effect the rest of the eggs... Should I take it out or will opening the incubator be a problem. I am incubating these in my classroom and will have 22 very disappointed children if we do not get any hatchlings. Can anyone help?? Thanks,Gemma

Just popping in to say I just noticed this going on with one of my duck eggs. It's only day 2 in the incubator. When I candle it, it seems to have bubbles (more than the one air bubble) on the inside.The only factor worth noting that is different than the other eggs, is that it went into the incubator cold, straight from outside. I'm going to leave it in the incubator for another day or two to see what happens, if anything.
This is a very zombie thread. The OP only made this one post over 4.5 years ago. You may wish to start your own thread in the Incubating & Hatching forum. Good luck.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree you need to remove the egg as soon as possible incase it does explode in the incubator. As the bubbles look clear it may be moisture or albumen (egg white) seeping through a very porous egg. Opening the incubator should not be a problem as you are only on day 11. It would be just like mother hen leaving the nest to eat, drink and poop in nature. Humidity is more critical during lockdown (after day 18)
If when you have removed the egg there is some residue of the bubbles in the turner, I would remove the eggs from the turner place them on towel or in egg cartons while you give the turner a good clean. I use a anti bac washing up liquid or you could use an egg sanitiser wash or even watered down bleach. Good scrub and rinse and you should be good to go. Your eggs will be fine out of the incubator it's just like mother hen again. In fact there have been studies that better hatches are achieved from a daily cooling period. My incubator has a cooling option that turns the heat off for an hour a day to replicate the hen.

Good luck, I hope you have some very happy children when they hatch. Enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC Gemma!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Just popping in to say I just noticed this going on with one of my duck eggs. It's only day 2 in the incubator. When I candle it, it seems to have bubbles (more than the one air bubble) on the inside.The only factor worth noting that is different than the other eggs, is that it went into the incubator cold, straight from outside. I'm going to leave it in the incubator for another day or two to see what happens, if anything.

NOT good at all very carefully take it out - cover your hand with a thick plastic baggy. Cover the end gently - pull the bag off your hand so it totally envelops the bad egg.

Tie the end of bag tightly and get that sucker out of your incubator & life, fast.

It would definitely be a bacterial problem if it exploded. You might want to post in "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread for advice on cleaning up the incubator after you dispose of it.

I'm wondering how you could do that will out affecting the remaining eggs. At school you are limited in what you can do. At home you could have run hot water in the shower to really steam up the bathroom - then brought the incubator in there. Opening the incubator in there you wouldn't loose humidity. But I don't know what you should clean the bator with and where to put the eggs while doing so? Usually stink egg aren't that close to exploding.

Back
Top Bottom