Help Bubbly eyes and swollen head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaureenL128, May 24, 2010.

1. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    For 2 days now one of my chickens has had swollen eyes and foam in the corners. I read a lot of the other posts. I called a feed supply store near me and they said to get Duramycin-10. It is also coming up online as terramycin. Are these what I need for the suspected sinus infection I think she has? Please any advice is appreciated.

2. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Well I woke up this morning to see that Bootsy can't open her eyes and Little Grey is getting it too. Their eyes are very puffy and swollen.

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I think Tylan-50 injectable is also supposed to be good for respiratory issues. I'm not much help here....because the only respiratory issues i've had to treat hadn't gotten quite as far as what you are describing, and i was able to help them get over it with nutritional/supplemental care. I will post the article where i found how to treat my birds below. It also has a worksheet for duramycin dosage. I bought duramycin and tylan-50 but ended up not having to use them because my birds got over the respiratory issues with the other treatments i tried.

If i were you.....i would try the nutritional/supplemental approach as well as medicating. It can only help. All of the ingredients she calls for were eaasy to find at a feed store and grocery store.

Here is the link to the post. Scroll down half way and you will see "treating respiratory illness in a flock"
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2788452

I trust any advice i find on this site from threehorses, it has always been very helpful for me.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

Andrea

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Also, there is a product called "oxine" that i have seen mentioned several times for treating respiratory illness. If the other approaches don't work, you could try it. Look on amazon.com (feed stores dont carry it). The reviews are really good. If you search for it on the forum here, you will find some articles about it as well.

Just passing along information i've gathered...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by