Help Buff Brahma Chickens not layin.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Goathead 86, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Goathead 86

Goathead 86 New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    I am concerned with my Chickens not layin. They were hatched in April and it is now November making them 6 months old. I ended up with three hens and three roosters but am concerned my dad had gotten six easter eggers and has gotten over two dozen eggs. They have everything they can want. Plenty of food water three roost boxes and treats probably more than they should have but still nothing. Could I have broken chickens?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    From what I have read is that Brahma's are slow to mature. Usually 30+ weeks before they lay. And shorter days will slow their maturing rate.

3. Goathead 86

Goathead 86 New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Ok thanks so I guess they should be layin in the next month or two. Im hoping that being in VA where we have milder winters it wont effect them to much. I have another question this is my first winter with chickens I have built a pretty nice coop with run the coop is 4' X 4' X 4' with built in roosts and three exterior boxes with good ventilation. Should I consider putting a heat lamp in the coop for the winter months?

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If it is protected from drafts, you should not need additional heat unless it gets real cold( like around zero).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by