1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP- Buff Orpington- IS THIS A ROO ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Little Chicken Farmers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Little Chicken Farmers

Little Chicken Farmers Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    So this little chicken is about 9 weeks old...I am thinking it is a Roo?? My other BO does not have any of the red markings. What do the experts think? My two BO's were straight run but the lady at Coastal said she picked pullets by looking at there wings...[​IMG]
    I dont mind having a Roo.... maybe he will get my lazy self out of bed a little earlier! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I am not an expert, I don't even know what my Buff O's are but it dosen't look all that red to me. I thought if they were roos the comb would be bright red.
    I would say girl, but please don't bet money on me!
    This is my first guess ever![​IMG]

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I'm going to say a hen. Combs on my buff orp roos at that age were bright red and shaped differently, they were already getting wattles too. Of course I've only had mine since last August so I'm certainly no expert at telling them young. [​IMG]

4. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    This is my other BO.... She doesn't have the same red markings on her face. The other one doesnt have a big comb but all the red on his face....he is also a little bit bigger and seems to stand more upright. They are both super sweet and mellow.... I never new chickens were so friendly!! I think the BO's are my fav [​IMG]
    I also have two RIR's, they are pretty tame, and two Silver Wyandottes....they seem to be aloof and skittish.

[​IMG]

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Just call me the waffler! Looking at them side by side...yes it looks like the one is more rooish. Specially the stance. Can't see his face and shape as well as hers though. Oh well....that'll teach me to not guess until I'm way more experienced! [​IMG]

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I'm no expert, but the first chick has pretty thick legs and not much tail yet. That coupled with the more advanced comb make me think it's a roo. At least from that photo. I have a BO pullet [​IMG] that's 9 wks old and she has much finer legs, a longer tail and no red at all. Her comb is more like your second photo.

7. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    Here is a better close up of the SUSPECT !! The little bugger wouldnt sit still for me to get a good shot of his face. I thought that a Roo would have had a more impressive comb by now...but he is different from the other BO. These are my first chickens EVER !![​IMG]
    So I know nothing ! ! ! ! ![​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That recent pic makes him look alot more rooish there. The wing feather sexing thing only works on some breeds which have been bred for that trait.

9. Little Chicken Farmers

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    So most likely Roo?? I am kind of glad.... every farm needs a nice crowing Roo!! Adds character, right ?? My husband (who works nights) may not appreciate if he is crowing at 5 am when he is trying to go to sleep ! [​IMG]

10. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Yeah the second picture looks much more rooish.
    Oh well, I've only had chickens for a month!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by